Clean that Glass...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G-rott

Jan 7, 2006
Petoskey Michigan
It's time to realy get the glass in the stove clean. Any tricks out there?

The stove is room temprature and I'm ready to go.

I do use the ash and newsprint trick when the stove is still warm and I'm trying to keep it clean, like when I stoke the fire in the morning. But know it's ready for a real scrub down.

Garett

G-rott said:

I do use the ash and newsprint trick when the stove is still warm and I'm trying to keep it clean, like when I stoke the fire in the morning. But know it's ready for a real scrub down.

Garett
I use Windex, then follow-up with a razor style 3” scrapper to get the built up stuff off. Then use the Windex again and the window is clean as new.

A lot of the commercial products work pretty well. I have the Rutland version and it doesn't do a bad job at all imo.

Rutland makes a cream cleaner that also has silicones in it. It works quite well to clean - better than the spray cleaners on built up muck. The silicone leaves a slick surface like if you just waxed your car. The slick surface helps make future cleanings a lot easier. I found it at HD.

I just buy some cheap oven cleaner ($1) a can and use it. Works well using newspaper to clean the glass. Been doing this way for years.

Robbie posted a recipe in the thread here. Since it was long thread, here's the key post -

OK, here it is.

Use 10 heaping “table spoons” of your fresh stove wood ash into a plastic bowl of some kind that has a snap on lid.

Then add some type of hand soap, brand does not matter, add and stir with large spoon until it becomes like a paste or similar to tooth paste.

Then get an old tooth brush or some type of “stiff bristle” brush. (the bigger the brush area the quicker it works)

Keep this mixture in a place where you can easily get to it and just simply do this,

Open stove door.

Put a couple paper towels down on floor under door just in case the paste drops off your tooth brush. No big deal if it does since it’s just soap and ashes.

Dip brush into paste and then apply to stove glass in tight circular motions (gently press, not much pressure needed), cleaning an inch or two with each dip into paste.

Continue dipping and brushing, using a back and forth motion on top, bottom, and sides of glass. The trick is to let the bristles do the work, using the ash content to break through the hardened film on glass.

When you get it clean, wipe off excess soap and ash with paper towels.

You will be surprised how simple and quick this method is.

Most of the time, if you have hot fires, it will clean 90% off the stain off the glass any way. Usually I just have to clean the edges of my glass. Keep the lid closed on your mix and it will keep good until you run out, you may need to add a couple drops of water and mix it up with brush occasionally just to keep it workable.

This mixture works like magic, once you get the right mixture of soap and ash, it’s a breeze. You don’t want it too wet or it drips off brush onto floor (paper towels). You don’t want it too dry or it just rolls off glass in little balls of ash. You want it to be a paste, and make sure you have plenty of ash, this is what cleans.

I never use water on my glass after I’m done, just wipe glass clean with paper towels.

When you get your ash for your mix, get fine ash and try not to get small chunks of coals.

This mix really does clean well and much faster than any other method I tried.

We are talking brilliant clean glass, with very little effort, I used this method all last winter and it worked great.

Robbie

I tried this over the weekend and it worked perfectly. Took off the thin build-up with almost no effort and took off some real thick build-up with after a few applications.

I'm too new to have tried anything else.

Webwidow said:
In our shop we used and sold Speedy White to clean stove glass.It worked like a charm. Put away your razor blades, speedy white does the job.

http://www.speedywhite.com/

But Webwidow, I thought you hated the smell of smoke and creosote. How would you know how the glass cleaner works. Didn't ya dump that job on Craig?

White vinegar works well. So does ammonia. Both are quite cheap.

I use spray 9 Fireview dissolves the stuff and smells like windex.Really works great, but glass needs to be nothing more than warm. Mostly I just use water.

Oh the famous "quicky" load.

[/quote]But Webwidow, I thought you hated the smell of smoke and creosote. How would you know how the glass cleaner works. Didn't ya dump that job on Craig?[/quote]

I only dislike the smell of smoke if the stove tender does not open the by-pass damper prior to loading. Hence the house becomes the chimney. You know how it goes..."but honey it was only one log, but honey I only needed to poke around a minute".

I know some of you are guilty of this as well. It is known as the quicky load. hahaha

I've tried the oven cleaner, vinegar, ash & newspaper, nothing worked like Rutland's Hearth & Grill Conditioning Glass and it's so cheap and makes the next cleaning much easier. It even works on the really thick black stuff. No matter what you try, it's going to take elbow grease but that polish sure works good.

I went through half a bottle last year, it being $6.00 a bottle it doesn't make a lot of sense to bother with other products IMHO. They also make a product called "White Off", don't get that it's for gas appliances.

I have to put in a vote for "castrol super clean" and wipe down with newspaper. Spray it on, the crud melts right off. I don't usually have a problem during the hard burning days of winter. The glass keeps itself pretty clean. But during the lazy fires of autumn and spring, it tends to smoke up a bit.

I also noticed a product mentioned earlier that contained silicone for easier second cleanings. I wonder if a product like Rain-X would provide similar protection? I feel an experiment coming on.

Corey

I have to go with Rhonemas on this one. That stuff really works great. It is usually available at most stove shops and also hardware stores around here. Once every 2 weeks I clean the glass, even if it doesn't need it. I do have to admit, the glass on my stove stays pretty clean all by itself though.

Another vote for the Rutland cleaner, I only use it very occaisionally, my glass stays fairly clean, except in the corners.

junksta said:
I found that the cheap orange citrus cleaner you can get at dollar stores works good.

Don't know if its the same, but I was wondering about the cheap ($1) orange goop hand cleaner stuff. I have some already (haven't tried it on stove). Seems perfect for the job though and its all natural, no chemicals, and smells good. I will try it tonight. Harbor Freight sells it.

EDIT: It worked better than I could have imagined - took everything off with as little effort as possible. Much better than windex and a razor (I tried that the last time). The product I have is called "GOJO".

p.s. Not sure if its good to use products with pumice though, some say it can scratch the glass (ceramic really). I did not notice any scratches though.

I use a wood stove glass cleaner from a company called imperial group. You spray it on the glass wait 2 min, and wipe it off with a damp cloth; it cleans the glass like new.

Thanks for all the help, any other tips or tricks are welcome.

Looks like it's time to get started.

And yes it is the thick bottom and corners I'm about to attack.

Garett

Rutland. I got a bottle a year ago last August and it is still 95% full. It does help with soot build up on the glass and seems to take it off lickety split.

BigV said:
G-rott said:

Garett
I use Windex, then follow-up with a razor style 3” scrapper to get the built up stuff off. Then use the Windex again and the window is clean as new.

Yep. Just did mine a few min ago. Better when wet. Like wet sanding paint on a car.

Rhonemas said:
I've tried the oven cleaner, vinegar, ash & newspaper, nothing worked like Rutland's Hearth & Grill Conditioning Glass and it's so cheap and makes the next cleaning much easier. It even works on the really thick black stuff. No matter what you try, it's going to take elbow grease but that polish sure works good.

Ok. Wow. Like you I tried all kinds of stuff, the vinegar/ash, spray cleaners, etc. and nothing comes close this stuff. Took maybe a minute to get the door really clean.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.