Cleaned, and cleaned up the chimney today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley

Minister of Fire
Apr 11, 2006
Ashfield, MA
Well - today was the first cleaning of the chimney after putting in a new stove, and liner last year. Previous stoves were used ones I had bought here and there and were just direct-connected to the existing flue in the fireplace. I would usually do 2 cleanings of the chimney each year, and always had a lot of creosote buildup most times. This year there was a huge difference :cheese: Here's a pic of the total amount of soot that was in the pipe - this is after about 5 1/2 cord being burnt this past year:

Attachments

• Ash.JPG
    Ash.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 460
Sorry to everyone to make this drag out - but for some reason - I can't put up more than one picture in the original post (and I know how some here like pictures. I wasn't really planning on doing this project today, but I was going to help a friend of mine move some stuff around in storage, and he got tied up at work, so I figured - good day to get this done and not have to be in a rush later.

The other part of the project was "cleaning up the chimney". I really didn't like the look of the SS liner and cap coming out of the chimney. It's probably one of those things that no-one else really notices, but one that I would see every day, and just didn't like it

Attachments

• Before 1.JPG
    Before 1.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 420
So to clean up that look of the shiny SS pipe sticking out the top. I did something I usually don't do over the weekend, unless I'm working. I made the big trip off the hill here, and down to the big city to the "propper topper" distribution center (a.k.a Craig's house). Side note: Again, Craig - nice to meet you and Martha, and thanks for the tour.

Here's the up close shot of it after being put on

Attachments

• After 1.JPG
    After 1.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 445
last one of the chimney - different angle

Attachments

• After 3.JPG
    After 3.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 397
Last picture - I promise - since I was up top (and I hate ladders, not the height that bothers me - just going up or down the ladder - I'm sure Keyman picked up on that when we did the donor install)

Here's the pile of wood all snugged in the shed waiting to get burned next year

Attachments

• Woodshed.JPG
    Woodshed.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 465
love the wood shed - how much wood do you think you fit in there and are there any plans for building one (i need a wood shed)

Stevebass4 said:
love the wood shed - how much wood do you think you fit in there and are there any plans for building one (i need a wood shed)

Steve there are some local mills that rough sawn lumber can be bought A lot closer than you think If I knew what you were thinking maybe I could help you get a decent looking shed cheap

Harley It pays to get it right proof in with the evidence Now there is a burner that must be doing something right

That extenda flue guy shure makes a nice product It really looks good up there

Stevebass4 said:

Thanks, Steve - as far as the amount of wood in the shed - I'd probably figurue it as a good 7 + cord. The shed itself is 12' X 12', and probaly about 7' tall at the middle. I can tell you for sure - there was no real craftsmanship going into building it. It is a lot off square, but mostly because of all the ledge around here, and having to dig the holes for the posts where I could. There were really no plans - it was just a matter of setting the upright posts in (and Elk is right - just rough cut 6 X 6's) - set them in as far as I could get them, then just tacked a couple of 2X4's along the top to make the "roof pitch" - cut off the tops of the uprights with the chainsaw, and threw up a few pieces of plywood for the roof, and then tar papered it and shingled (that stuff was found in the attic when I bought the house) - that's why there is the "stripe" in the middle... must have been an odd lot of roofing stuff they bought when they built the house.

To be honest... the wood shed was kind of thrown together during a weekend, so I really don't have any plans for the layout. I think the most expensive part of the whole project was the beer (and that was only 2 people working on it)

Damn that local micro brewed beer tasted real good after the donor installation Harley had a cooler full and iced
No wonder it took a few and he got help man if I had to drive I might have skipped Tom's tavern and had another of harley's ice cold brews

elkimmeg said:
Harley It pays to get it right proof in with the evidence Now there is a burner that must be doing something right

That extenda flue guy shure makes a nice product It really looks good up there

Thanks, Elk

I definately learned a lot recently, and for sure the proof was in the pudding when I cleaned the chimney, and a lot of that credit goes to you.

and I think the extenda flue looks pretty good up there myself.

elkimmeg said:
Damn that local micro brewed beer tasted real good after the donor installation Harley had a cooler full and iced
No wonder it took a few and he got help man if I had to drive I might have skipped Tom's tavern and had another of harley's ice cold brews

Anytime you want to venture "out west" this way, Elk - you know you surely are welcome.

Harley said:
elkimmeg said:

Anytime you want to venture "out west" this way, Elk - you know you surely are welcome.

Yup...just make sure those directions are the "northerly route" through G-Vegas ;)

Same invite applies Elk...

Harley said:
Last picture - I promise - since I was up top (and I hate ladders, not the height that bothers me - just going up or down the ladder - I'm sure Keyman picked up on that when we did the donor install)

Aaaagh..You did fine 'topside' Harley...after all, positioning that ladder took a little work and still wasn't "optimal" lol ;)

elkimmeg said:
I might have skipped Tom's tavern and had another of harley's ice cold brews

you're right around the corner ;) Eagle brook has some great micro beers as well

That does look really nice. And I see evidence of some real clean burning there.

Now, if that webmaster guy would ever get around to the hearth.com member discount on those extenda-flues...

BrotherBart said:
That does look really nice. And I see evidence of some real clean burning there.

Now, if that webmaster guy would ever get around to the hearth.com member discount on those extenda-flues...

How many, I have my order book open and ready.
Discounts? of course especially for our H.com buds.

Hard Woods said:
Looking good Harley! Nice cap, nice wood pile....

Thanks, HW - how did the rest of the splitting go with some of those "monster chunks"?

Webmaster said:
Opps, this is the webwidow playing around on the Craig's computer.That last post was me.
Shh, he is beside me reading the NYT waiting for his 'puter back. Now where is that delete button.

Webmaster said:
Webmaster said:
Opps, this is the webwidow playing around on the Craig's computer.That last post was me.
Shh, he is beside me reading the NYT waiting for his 'puter back. Now where is that delete button.

Uh oh... looks like Webwidow is ready to clean up shop and move some inventory.

Harley, the monster chinks are slowing going away. It's hard to get any significant work done on them with the heat, school, and vacations! 2 weddings the last 3 weekends, class 2 nights a week...Not much time for splitting wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.