Cleaned my Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tbear853

Feeling the Heat
So, I have been using what I was sure was a natural bristle brush to occasionally brush off the inside of the glass of my stove. I had noticed over time, some streaks of black that looked like scratches. I was worried, and further brushing was of no help, maybe made it worse. Over the New Year weekend we were gone to visit for a few days, was a good time to let stove go cold.

Yesterday I decided to try cleaning the scratch looking black streaks off. I had had a thought, maybe that brush wasn't natural bristled? I had used it a few times, but only noticed the scratch looking marks in the last few months. I removed the one door mounted log and first brushed any loose black soot off, then I wet the cold glass with glass cleaner & paper towel. They remained. Then I wet the glass again with the glass cleaner and used a plastic handled razor blade scraper designed for removing stickers on the car glass, going back and forth across the wet glass, about 30-40 degree angle. I could hear / feel the blade as it encountered the scratch looking marks. They got lighter, and I worked on the larger spots. I rewet a few times. When finished, when there was no more noise or sign of them marks, I did a final clean with paper towel.

Glass looks brand new again. I bought a new, natural bristle brush for future use, I'll maybe use the old one for other brushing, not for hot stove door glass.

What surprised me was the times I had used it with no marking, then just recently it marked the glass. Could it be that I just before had maybe been faster with my brushing and not giving the bristles time to melt and leave marks. Maybe I was wrong, maybe it wasn't so "natural bristled" after all? ;hm

Reactions: ARC
If you were brushing it when it was hot maybe it was little melted lines. Did you brush it hot? I clean the glass every few days with just 1-2 paper towels and water. The glass cold or slightly warm. Others say to use newspaper and ashes. But all I have ever needed is a paper towel. This week I have made a bow to only have small hot full blast fires, and I haven’t had to clean the glass yet.

Reactions: tbear853
Yeah, I wash ushing the brush on hot/very warm glass in between good cleanings when cool. I had read threads where natural bristles were OK, just not nylon bristle brushes. Sure looks good now, may cease with in between cool down brushing.

Yeah, I wash ushing the brush on hot/very warm glass in between good cleanings when cool. I had read threads where natural bristles were OK, just not nylon bristle brushes. Sure looks good now, may cease with in between cool down brushing.
I brush my glass with natural bristle paint brush daily no matter how hot the stove it. Never had a problem. Your brush mush have been a hybrid type instead of 100% nat bristle

I used a brand new $7 "premium" angled tip natural bristle brush a few minutes ago, taking a chance .... it worked perfect,
Worst case ... I someday need to clean it again with the razor. I never considered it possibly being a hybrid type brush ... but that would go a long way towards understanding it. Looking close at the old brush, bristle ends were looking a bit ragged.

Wife and I both like the clean glass, for ambiance. Why we bought it so long ago.

Like others have said, it looks like you brush melted onto the glass. Glad you were able to fix the problem with a razor. What works best for me to clean the glass on my stove is a couple sheets of crumpled up newspaper. Just wet the paper with a little water and wipe the glass. There should be enough fine ash on the glass to scrub off anything that remains. Finish with a paper towel.