CLEANED THE CHIMNEY THIS WEEKEND

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FORCE FAB

Oct 30, 2008
SOUTH JERSEY
Ive been burning since around haloween because its the first year with the stove and wanted to get friendly with it...Swept the chimney on saturday with my new brush for 12 bucks and the pvc conduit rods at 1.oo each for 10 footers(Thanks to the forum).Well there was no sine creosote just stuff that looked like coffee grinds..I i got about a quart of it out and most of it was out the first time the brush went down..Is that too much?oh my chimney is about 13 feet tall

Sounds like you're in fine shape. So far all I am getting is the coffee grounds type stuff, too.

FORCE FAB said:
Well there was no sine creosote just stuff that looked like coffee grinds..I i got about a quart of it out and most of it was out the first time the brush went down..Is that too much?oh my chimney is about 13 feet tall

Yer in good shape...though that chimney seems a bit on the short side. Does it draw good?

woodconvert said:
FORCE FAB said:
Well there was no sine creosote just stuff that looked like coffee grinds..I i got about a quart of it out and most of it was out the first time the brush went down..Is that too much?oh my chimney is about 13 feet tall

Yer in good shape...though that chimney seems a bit on the short side. Does it draw good?
yea it draws real good even when its cold..I have a small house with not much roof pitch so im about 10 ft from the peak and about as high as it

adrianrog said:
Yep, a quart sounds good. I just cleaned my chimney and got about 30 gallons in huge chunks. Needless to say, I also just finished lining my chimney to avoid that problem in the future.

-Adrian

:bug: OMG, 30 gallons??? We burned wet wood for a while when we first started in october, and only got 5 gallons from our 30' chimney!

adrianrog said:
It was big and fluffy. When I crunched it up, it fit into a regular kitchen trashbag with room to spare. Probably 6 or 7 gallons. It was also a 13"X13" flue tile.

-Adrian.

Crawled up on my roof today. I've been putting it off because of the snow and ice, but we're supposed to get some more
snow tomorrow.

Wasn't hardly worth it. Maybe half a cup of powder, and all at the top. I think I'm good until summer.

Nice view from the roof, but it's a long way down. Was glad to be on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.