Cleaned the stove today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flammam

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2007
Western, Ma.
Been burning Okies all season but I see the need for another ton of pellets before the end of the season. Picked up 3 bags of Maines Choice to give a try as I can get them for 209 ton. Stay tuned for updates.

Cleaned mine today with the shop vac. Next weekend, if the weather is nice, i will take out the pipe and clean that as well. Stove burns so much better when the tubes are cleaned.

A clean stove is a happy stove!

---Nailer---

I did a thorough cleaning of mine yesterday as well. Took the exhaust tube covers off, exhaust blower out etc. Heat output had dropped off considerably. Hard to believe but that 1/8" thick layer of ash really insulates the metal. I still have good airflow so I will clean the vent pipe at the end of the season.

KatWill said:
Cleaned mine today with the shop vac. Next weekend, if the weather is nice, i will take out the pipe and clean that as well. Stove burns so much better when the tubes are cleaned.

Cleaned mine today also. Shop vac died on start up. Been using it for 6+ years. RIP.

Guess what my Valentines gift is going to be?

I shut the pellet burner down overnight so I Shop Vac it daily before startup, every few days I remove the baffles and give the furnace a more thorough cleaning, still burning like new after 1.5 months of ownership. I've been using the HEPA filter and high efficiency bags, hardly any soot/ash on the filter with the Shop Vac, those bags work great for catching the fine ash/soot particles.

Doing mine tomarrow, Monday. Taking the baffles off and shop vacing everything and cleaning the exchange tubes really good.. Just cleaned the exhaust tube outside that runs horizontal. Always burns better with a good cleaning. And i've noticed with my quad that if its really good and clean you have to open the feed rate alittle because the fire is lower when its clean. When its not clean the flame is alot higher. So I dont keep mine all the way down because mine stove stays clean enough that the flame stays down to around 4 inches above the pot and very active. I have the feed adjuster open about 25 percent. Fly ash just zooms out of the pot, thats what you want with the quad.

Good firebox cleaning today. So much warmer output after. Did a complete cleaning including exhaust pipe 2-3 weeks ago.

Almost ready to go back to the shoulder Greene Teams, but damn those made cleaning so much harder than the Spruce Points. This year's Greene Teams required allot of scrubbing and I end up much blacker. The Spruce just brush right off all surfaces, even me when done :cheese: No scrubbing at all.

Just did a cleaning tonite, too. I am finding some soft clinkers in the burn pot with the Southern Indiana Hardwoods I'm now burning... nothing to fret about but there nonetheless.

Now I have a nice clean window again... and a good flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.