Cleaning a Regency H2100 fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Signet123

Sep 2, 2020
Northeast PA
I purchased this hearth heater last fall. I really enjoyed it throughout the winter. It's getting time to burn again and I need to clean the stove pipe from the roof down. I used to do this with the fireplace. I know it involves removing the shelf above the secondary burn tubes, as well as the tubes themselves. Does anyone know if there's a video of this online? I was going to get the guy that installed it to clean it the first time, so I could watch him do it. My plans changed because of the Covid. I don't want anyone in my house, at this time.

No need to remove the tubes. Baffles (shelf), yes. Look at getting a sooteater. If ur using a brush on a ss liner, make sure it’s poly

I did buy a poly brush when I bought the stove. The sooteater s the vacuum. Right? Can you recommend one online that's reasonable price? I was debating whether or not to use my shop vac, but now I think I will buy a sooteater. So I should just clear out the shelf and everything on it and the go up on the roof and run the Brush down the pipe four or five times and then vacuum up all the soot in the stove. Am I forgetting anything? Thanks for your help.

The Sooteater is a rotary chimney brush system, not a vacuum. A shop vac is ok if you put in a drywall filter. That will filter out the ash. Just be sure there are no hot embers being sucked up.

Please forgive my ignorance. I looked up Sooteater after reading it in your post. I didn't even know such a thing existed. That's a good tip about the drywall filter. Also, if I don't have to remove the tubes, that will make things easier. I had cleaning the fireplace figured out, but this is a new set-up, so it makes me nervous. I tried to find a video of someone cleaning my type of stove, but I couldn't. It's great to be able to come in here and get advice. Thank you.

On my Hampton insert, which is a Regency product, you tip up of the two baffles up on the side lip, and then take out the other one. The manual tells you how to do it. This is if yours is like mine.

I think my stove only has one baffle (shelf). I remember watching when they put it in. The baffle sits above the tubes and there's a piece of white fireproof insulation and these square weights that hold it down. Thanks for the reply.

I finally got my stove cleaned and put back together. I have an additional question about the baffle. I have a steel baffle (shelf) that sits on top of the secondary burn tubes. The bottom of the baffle has two round humps on it from left to right. My question is where do these humps sit in relation to the tubes. Do the humps lay in front, or behind or on top of the tubes. If they're in front, it leaves a gap between the back fire. Bricks and the baffle. If they're on top the back of the baffle lines up with the firebrick. If they're behind the back of baffle is overlapping the top of firebrick. The manual is not clear on this. If anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

On top. I would think it should be flush with the fire brick. You certainly don’t want a gap. It’s purpose is to route the flames/smoke towards the front, where it gets re-burned by the air coming out of the tubes, and then out the top by way of the front area of the stove. A gap would Allow it to go straight up without being re-burned

Thanks for the reply. I finally got in touch with the dealer I bought it from. He said the same as you that that it routes the flame toward the front. He said the humps on the bottom of the baffle should be behind the tubes. This leaves the back of the baffle overlapping the back firebrick by an inch. Ironically, this is the way I had it, so everything is A okay. Hopefully, if some one has this same issue and does a search, they'll find this thread. I'm all set to burn. All I need now is cold weather.