Cleaning an Englander IP?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btbeam

Dec 19, 2013
New Jersey
So I have been cleaning out my new stove about every other day. I have had the stove hooked up for two weeks. I noticed the burn pot was really caked up tonight. Is that an indication of crappy pellets or something else. Thanks

Sorry no one got back to you ... Have you tried a different pellet to rule that out?

So I have been cleaning out my new stove about every other day. I have had the stove hooked up for two weeks. I noticed the burn pot was really caked up tonight. Is that an indication of crappy pellets or something else. Thanks
So you have the new IP looked at those how you like it and from what your saying I know 25-pdv shows caking when heat exchange is dirty I would try that

I was at a point of cleaning my stove twice daily. I was burning "Satisfaction" pellets from HD (never again) and the burn pot would constantly fill up and need to be emptied. Mid winter I had to essentially do a full clean out minus removing the blower but including cleaning my chimney. Once clean, I switched to a better brand of pellets from my local stove shop for a few cents more a bag and am now only emptying the burn pot 2-3 per week (although it probably doesn't even need it, I'm just used to having to do it).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Are you running on a thermostat in On/Off mode?
I've been burning our new IP for 9 days now, I've only had one cake up incident that was the result of a delayed start where the pellets filled up the pot before the ignitor got them started when the thermostat was calling for heat and there was a bunch of crud in the ignitor tube. So make sure the ignitor tube is clean.
Ive been also cleaning/emptying the ashes about every other day , and on on the weekend I wire brushed out the inside of the firebox, vacuumed the firebox
and took the brick off and beat the back with a mallet.

I'm currently in my 2nd week of "reduced cleaning regimen" on my IP. Every night I've been stirring the pot up to break up the ash without shutting down and every week doing a shutdown for the weekly cleaning as described in the manual. After I close the door from the daily stir, there's a nice fireworks show as freed up ash gets ejected from the burn pot. There is a fair amount of semi firm ash in the pot after the week, but it breaks up easily and is not blocking the upper air holes. Monthly cleaning includes cleaning out the ash trap/heat exchanger.

Before this I was doing every other day shutdown cleans, and before that every day, so I've eased into this regiment. I've never had a pot so filled up that it caused problems with the fire, so pellet choice is probably a factor there. I've been burning Cleanfire Pacifics and TSC Lignetics. Currently burning to the end of my 3rd ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.