Cleaning Chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
Sometimes my protective chaps get pretty filthy. Mud and dirt I can usually hose off, but oil and other chemicals are tougher. The label in my Husqvarna chaps warns against using detergents, Bailey's told me that Husky says detergents are fine. This article mentions a cool sounding product but it's not at your local hardware store:

http://www.wildlandfire.com/hotlist/showthread.php?t=12679

One gallon is sold here:

http://www.firecache.com/prodinfo.asp?number=12.1000

How do people here wash/clean their chaps?

I don't wash or clean my chaps, but then again I don't wear them to weddings or funerals either.

Wife threw mine away when they got too ratty.

peterc38 said:
I don't wash or clean my chaps, but then again I don't wear them to weddings or funerals either.

That's great to hear. But the point is that oil, gasoline and dirt deteriorate the chain-stopping ability of chaps. So, unless you really enjoy taking risks or buying new chaps frequently, it's good to clean them.

I wash mine at least once a month.

Don't use any chlorine bleach. It weakens Kevlar and similar aramids.

Hi -

The instructions on my Gov't "FSS" marked chaps say wash when dirty/oily as they are not as effective when dirty. I wash them when they start looking oil soaked at the knee. I button the metal buckle in the pocket, and was with detergent only. They are significantly lighter weight when they dry. They must soak up a lot of bar oil.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.