Cleaning ductwork

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
Quick post to see if it's worth my effort or expense of hiring a company to clean the ductwork in my house. I ripped out the old furnace a couple years back and will have an air handler tied into my propane boiler take its place sometime in January. I don't know if the ductwork has ever been cleaned and the little research I've done makes it seem it's not all that necessary to do. I've had the registers and returns covered for the last 4 years, and prior to that I vacuumed the best I could in and around the openings. Is that what a "pros" do, or do they have different equipment to really get in there. I'd hate to have whatever nasties that have accumulated over the years come flying out once we get the system going again. Maybe tie a swiffer around the cat and let her loose??

I've not seen this first hand but understand that ducts can be cleaned with brushes that traverse the whole length of the duct. This is done while dirty air is pulled from the duct by vacuum.

I was told never to do this is because you will loosen up years of dust that will take years to settle back down.

I often wonder the same thing. Our central system died in the nineties and I am afraid Jurassic Park would come flying out if I replaced it.

I suppose I could put some sort of fabric over the registers to act as a filter when it is fired up for the first time, while maybe whacking the ducts in the basement to get things moving.

I'm surprised the cat/swiffer method hasn't gained any traction. We're on to something, I'm telling you.

Unless you think the flow is restricted because they are so dirty its generally considered unnecessary. I would suggest turning the air handler up to its maximum speed for a bit and then clean your house. Change the filter fairly soon after having the system running for a bit as well. It still will probably be less dust then what most folks let loose in their house burning wood.

If you have vents in the basement along main trunks, take one down, stick a digital camera in there and shoot pics both direction. I just did this tonight while cutting out a hole for a new return line. House is 22 years old and I doubt a cleaning service could get to the little bit of stuff I saw on the cold air return side, which would be the 'dirty' side. Vacuum all registers and returns in the room and you will be good to go.

Of course your dryer duct will be an entirely different story......

Status
Not open for further replies.