Cleaning Flue without removing the baffle in my Clydesdale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JoeRJGR

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
All,

I have had my Clydesdale now for about 5 years. Have been cleaning the flue every fall from the top down and usually get maybe 1/2 inch of soot in the bottom of a coffee cup. None of this is hard with the exception of removing /installing the baffle.

I have about foot of hearth in front f the unit, and sitting on my knees and trying to maneuver that thing in is always a challenge. Two years I broke it an managed to glue it back together with fireplace cement. This year I would much rather leave the baffle in place.

I realize that if I bang the baffle with my cleaning rod I can damage, it...but I'm wondering if I have my wife somehow look to see when its there, or just go very gently....? Also, if I attempt this, where exactly would the soot go???

Thanks for the advice...I know I'll get a lot of advice on how to replace the baffle, but honestly I would really like to see if I can avoid that.

Thanks

The soot wil just lay on the baffle partially blocking the flue collar. You need to drop the baffle on this unit.
It’s actually a pretty easy baffle to maneuver compared to some others.

I understand...its my back that doesn't.....and I just don't do it enough to be good at it...anyway I could vacuum the soot out between the baffle and the tubes...I sort of remember there being a small gap there.

Thanks for the reply...