cleaning foggy glass window

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STANG32

Aug 18, 2010
CT
my breckwell insert has 2 windows, & they are getting foggy, not capable of being cleaned., I was wondering what others have done to solve this issue or am I doomed?
I was wondering if the headlight repair kit would work to remove the foggy glass.

STANG32 said:
my breckwell insert has 2 windows, & they are getting foggy, not capable of being cleaned., I was wondering what others have done to solve this issue or am I doomed?
I was wondering if the headlight repair kit would work to remove the foggy glass.

use glass rangetop cleaner....available at most grocery stores. Some folks also use ash and water. To each his/her own.

Something simple you can try is the same procedure that works with a woodstove. While the glass is warm BUT NOT HOT, take a damp newspaper and dip in the ashes. Use this to clean the glass. It works in most cases. there are commercial cleaners designed specifically for cleaning wood and pellet stove glass, but try this first.

Also, if you have a Magic Eraser on hand, they work very well too, along with the stove ashes as mentioned above.

My prefered cleaning method is the good Old SOS pad dampened a bit and go at it.

I have done this for years. Once the glass is really clear of the smokey crap, wipe clean with a dampened paper towel then wash with glass cleaner and dry.

Now apply a coating of auto finish wax and wipe the haze off. This will help keep the crap from sticking.

Nothing will totally stop the smokey haze over time BUTTTTTTTTTT you can slow it down.

I keep a shop rag close by the stove in a can, and maybe once a day when I need to clear the clinker from the pot, I will shut the fuel feed off, let the pot burn down a bit then open the door, clear the clinker and while the door is open, shag the glass with the shop towel a quicky swipe.

I close the door, turn the fuel back on and its off to the rodeo once more.

Now this trick will clear the smokey stuff, but there will be a start to a haze that will not come off with the dry rag.

Its just a normal thing.
Some stoves have a better air wash on the glass than others do.

Good luck

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.