Cleaning from bottom up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis Koble

Dec 2, 2005
I have a steep roof with a tall 9' metal stack. The only way to get to the top of the chimney would be some type of scaffolding. Is there anyway to clean an insert from the inside of the house (bottom up)

Mike Wilson said:
It depends on the insert type. On Jotuls and I think Pacific Energy you can remove the baffle plate and clean from below. Makes the job much easier.
Correct , the Pacific Energys baffle plate / secondary burn chamber does come out with a pull of a pin and remove .

But will the fiberglass rods make that bend? And since the door will be opened how do you not make a mess? If I turn my wifes living room black she will kill me :)

Razz said:
But will the fiberglass rods make that bend? And since the door will be opened how do you not make a mess? If I turn my wifes living room black she will kill me :)
For my set up with my Pacific Energy stove ..........I go from the top down , i also have a tall stack and a steep room but i get up there. I can take my pre fab stack off at 3" sections to lower it , i take out the baffle plate and shut the door ...... open the door when ready to cleanout the left overs. I have not went up the stack because #1 i havent had the stove that long #2 because of the issues you had mentioned.

If you can get the rods to make the bend through the door and up the stack, just tape some plastic over the opening, leaving a slit for the rods to move through. You might want to keep a shop vac handy just in case. I guess there's no room for a "T" connector on the back of an insert. That's the best way to do it.

Yeah, I agree.

The simplest and least messy solution might just be to call a professional. Although I'm sure they're swamped out of their mind at this point.

If you're local to me I could always recommend a couple guys though, idk what else to say.

All good points. The sweeps in this area want close to 200 to do the job (Due to the height of the stack). I’m sure I can keep calling around. I’m sure that if it were easy to sweep from the bottom up everyone would be doing it. But for that kind of money I’d rather get some scaffolding and clean it from the top myself. Maybe it’s just plain old self satisfaction that I want to do it myself and it’s not that I am cheap, yes I’m cheap :). Roospike do you have a full reline in that stack your taking apart?

Just wondering: if Metal class A chimney, then why not twist it and unlock then clean the remaining pipe . Why build a scaffolding on the roof.

Razz said:
All good points. The sweeps in this area want close to 200 to do the job (Due to the height of the stack). I’m sure I can keep calling around. I’m sure that if it were easy to sweep from the bottom up everyone would be doing it. But for that kind of money I’d rather get some scaffolding and clean it from the top myself. Maybe it’s just plain old self satisfaction that I want to do it myself and it’s not that I am cheap, yes I’m cheap :). Roospike do you have a full reline in that stack your taking apart?
I have as Elk has stated ...."Metal class A stainless steel chimney twist and lock" made by Metal fab no liner.

I’d rather get some scaffolding and clean it from the top myself.

it would most likely cost more to rent scaffolding than to hire a sweep.
not including all the time to set it up.

I guess I was un clear. What I suggested is to twist and unlock the top sections leaving the rest in place. Run a brush down and clean them. Run the brush threw the removed sections and re-install they This eliminates trying to get above the exit with scaffolding.
or hire a chimney sweep and watch him do the same thing.

elkimmeg said:
I guess I was un clear. What I suggested is to twist and unlock the top sections leaving the rest in place. Run a brush down and clean them. Run the brush threw the removed sections and re-install they This eliminates trying to get above the exit with scaffolding.
or hire a chimney sweep and watch him do the same thing.

Thats how I would do it, from what you've explained. You also might be able to disconnect the liner and sweep it that way the only downside is that you won't be able to inspect the top.

I'm able to twist and unlock the top section although I will have a full flex re-line inside of that. I don't want to keep bending that around. So I will call a Sweep and see how they do it. If I do wind up buying scaffolding I’m sure it will pay for itself in time. I don’t plan on moving and plan on burning the stove a long time. Like I said earlier in cases were I can do something myself I will because I’m cheap :). Thanks all and I will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.