Cleaning inside top of jotul oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

senorFrog

Hearth Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Last time I had my chimney swept and stove cleaned, the sweep told me they do not clean the inside top of the jotul oslo. I.e. Above the burn tubes. Reason he said was access was not good. When I asked about the removeable maintenance oval on the top of stove for possible access, he said you should never disassemble the stoves once put together because the extreme heats change the way the bolts expand and contract.

Anyone have any advice on this. I'd like to clean up there as it's rather nasty.

Thanks!

Remove the pipe, and remove the reversible flue collar. That should give you plenty of access. Keep in mind there is an insulating blanket on top of the baffle.

Do you take the insulating blanket out, clean then put back in or just leave it there?

I honestly wouldn't fool with it. It gets pretty fragile after being exposed to heat and I imagine it might fall apart in your hands.

I have an F600 which I cleaned the chimney twice this winter and removed the top oval plate both times. I can't imagine just sweeping the chimney and not cleaning out the crap that ends up on the insulated blanket. The 2 bolts show no sign of stress from heat damage. I remove the oval plate, set a cookie sheet on top of the insulating blanket, sweep the chimney, remove the cookie sheet and dump out the creosote/ash. I then shop vac the blanket and bolt the plate back on. I do not tighten the bolts overly tight...just snug. I have had no problems. Just my .02.

This info is very helpful. I have a new oslo and have no clue how to clean it. I live in an area of NY where they don't know what wood is and the only jotul dealer (he has my money but is NO help!) doesn't have any answers or know what the heck I'm talking about! I have never owned a wood stove...could you be specific as to where the bold are and how to do this. I would greatly appreciate your input...even if it seems to simple. Thanks.
Belle

Belle, lemme guess your on long island and bought the stove in Patchogue??

Belle, I as you, had never had a woodstove but have learned a lot from my first season. My model is the F600 and I will be removing the top oval plate and cleaning it before I fire it up this fall. What I posted may only apply to my specific model. The top oval casting has two "bosses" (protrusions) cast into it to be able to drill and tap it. The bolts are easily accessable by opening the two front doors. Open the doors and shine a flashlight up above the baffles where the insulation blanket lays. You will see them. They will be covered with soot and will be black so they blend in. I believe it takes a 10 millimeter socket to remove them. There are only two bolts. I used a 3/8" ratchet with socket no extension. My gasket wanted to fall off but thats no big deal just get some gasket cement a glue it back on. After cleaning when you bolt the plate back on don't get carried away and overtighten the bolts. Just snug them up. Hope this helps. I would have only needed to clean mine once through the winter...if that.. but it was new to me and I wanted to know how clean I was burning. Remember... Burn dry wood and burn hot. Good Luck.

Take the the oval out it is there is no problem with it it is gasketed and there is no harm done by doing this the weight is more then engough to make a seal with the gasket and not even putting the bolts back in the top plate i dont have any in mine. dont worry about taking them out.

Thank guys...now I can call the chimney sweep and tell him what to do and I can take care of the top oval & cleaning the insulation blanket. This info was a great help. I didn't want to start pulling my stove apart not knowing what I was doing. I could not find cleaning instructions or info anywhere.........and yes ...WXMAN...it's worse than you thought....Long Island and in NASSAU COUNtY! They think a wood pile is an eye sore and if you can't turn the FPL on with a button they can't fathom having one. Taylor Hearth was the only distributor I could find for the Jotul stove once I had made my mind up. Is there a distributor in Suffolk? I had called Maine a few times and they just kept telling me to call my Distributor!
I have tons more questions. I'm thrilled to have this info and no matter what the temperature the day after the chimney sweep comes I'm starting a fire! Have a great week end!

Status
Not open for further replies.