Cleaning my Wood Stove Insert myself

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. Just want to make sure I got this right. I bought a home with a Heatilator wood stove insert and am getting the proper 6" stainless steel flue installed (must be oval because of my chimney size).

Anyway, i want to service this completely myself after the install. The stove itself was already inspected and safe, and once the flue is installed this year it'll be good to go.

I have heard good things about this Gardus SLK-24 SootEater Rotary Chimney. Says it can clean liners 5" to 9" in diameter and extends up to 24' so that's enough for me. Do you guys use this?

I can also see that the inside of this insert has black tar caked in it. Guessing this is creosote? The previous owners were not too bright and used this without a proper flue, so I wouldnt be surprised if they used bad wood.

Anyway, is there a recommended spray cleaner to dissolve this creosote? What's the best method to clean this? Just scrub it off with a brush? Is this a yearly thing?

Anything else I'm missing? Thanks for the tips guys!

A good hot fire will burn off that creosote. The sooteater is very popular with a lot of members. I have to get one myself.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Nice, great to know. So really I only need to worry about cleaning the ash out every so often, and sweeping the flue?
Thanks for the advice

Nice, great to know. So really I only need to worry about cleaning the ash out every so often, and sweeping the flue?
Thanks for the advice
yes, thats about it, burn dry wood and enjoy the heat.

In my view, clean hot fires, with well seasoned wood, are a big factor in reducing creosote buildup. Slower fires or not-ready wood are going to be a factor in the other direction.

Sooteaters work great- and yes a good hot fire will clean out that firebox.