Cleaning questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
I have read how best to clean chimney pipe and I am confident cleaning the 15 foot stack. But, what about the 18 inch horizontal run to the stove? Is there a specific method to clean this section? And, is there anything specific I need to clean in regards to the stove other than cleaning the ash and inspecting the firebricks? I only had stove running, with seasoned wood, about 1 month last year. Trying to decide if I should do this myself or pay someone?

You can definitely do it. There won't be anything in there after only 1 month, so it'll be even easier. The goal is to have nothing inside the pipe. That's it.
However, if you have doubts, hire the guy, and stand around being nosy. Then do it yourself from then on.

On that 18" horizontal run, most times the only thing you'll have in there is fly ash. If you can get the hose to a shop vac in there it will suck that out super fast.

In one stove we had which had a horizontal run about what yours is I just took a wire brush and taped two sticks onto the handle which allowed me to reach inside the horizontal with that and just scrape out everything. This was done from the bottom of the tee on the outside. It worked well even if it looked strange. If my memory is right, I used a couple sticks of bamboo.

As for the chimney itself, it is always right at the top where creosote will form the most; that and the cap. But only a month of burning you should not be in bad shape.

Good luck on burning this coming season (or is it here already?!).

Thanks guys. I am going to clean myself and see what I get. This somewhat chilly weather has got me wanting to make a fire, but my wife said no way!

Just need to pick up the piece of oak for the mantel tomorrow, stain, and set and I will be ready. Soon!

The proper way to clean the connector pipe, if you ever decide you really need to, is to remove it, clean it, and reinstall. This is common on a stove hooked up to a masonry chimney with two interior elbows. Your pipe is pretty much a virgin after only a month of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.