cleaning the chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

happycamper

Mar 14, 2013
people who burn wood in fireplace or wood stove
how many times per year do you get your chimney cleaned

how much you pay the guy to clean the chimney

i get mine cleaned every 4 to5 yrears cost me 100 to 200 to get it cleaned

\

Every year, do it myself, paid a guy one year, I think it was $190.

With my last setup, Regency F2400 and 24ish feet of pipe, I'd clean every 2-3 years and get less than a cup full of fine powder. Current setup I'm cleaning 2-4 time a season and sometimes getting 1-2 quarts of flake each cleaning. I've never paid anyone to sweep.

\
What are you burning in and how much do you burn every year?

I clean my 21+ ft chimney top down with a soot eater once a year. Got more soot than I would have liked last year but I'm burning much drier red oak and ash this year.

Never paid a chimney guy. Figured the tools were half the price and they would pay for themselves in the first use. Thinking of getting a climbing harness for the roof though. Will still be under budget based on a single cleaning cost.

That may be a little off-topic, but how do you secure yourself with the harness on the roof? What do you use as an anchor point?

Reactions: mar13
We got ours cleaned every year. 2 flues over 30 feet tall, I think it was right around $300. We stopped hiring it out because the last three sweeps in a row didn't want to get up there and deal with cleaning the gunk out of the cap, and it caught fire one night. Now, I just rent a big man lift to go up there, take off the cap, and do it myself with a poly brush and a bunch of fiberglass rods. Costs $145 to get the lift for the day, and I'll clean the gutters while I have it.

\
Soot eater. One payment and it was mine. Annually.

Reactions: blacktail
Mine gets cleaned once a year, twice if there is some warm weather (since I'm burning cooler, and since there is a window of no-snow to get up on the roof). I pay the guy in pizza and beer, because the guy is me. ;)

I put these roof anchors up in a few places on our house and garage -- they work well:

Amazon product ASIN B000LESLR4

\

I check the buildup in my chimney regularly (once a month or so during burning season) and I clean it myself a couple of times a year. I like knowing that there is never much to burn in the chimney. I would never go more than a season without at least inspecting the chimney for buildup (more often if conditions like wood moisture were not what they should be).

Reactions: Farenheit 451
Small insert with usually 2 cold starts a day, uninsulated liner in an exterior chimney. I run the soot eater up it 2x a year.

I don't think I could physically burn 30 cords of wood per year even if I really wanted to in my two wood stoves combined. My neighbor with an outdoor wood fired boiler heating his 3000 square foot home and similar sized pole barn won't go through that kind of wood. Are you sure you don't mean face cord?

Reactions: AlbergSteve
even if its 30 face cords, thats 10 full cords, thats a lot of wood
It is, though not so much for a big barrel stove.

Until this year I was inspecting and cleaning monthly since I own my own brushes and sweep from the bottom up and it is a 10 minute job . . . this year I was lazy (and realized after burning for over 10 years that I am really not producing much creosote) so I did it at the start of the burning season and halfway through the burning season.

i cleaned mine twice this winter. I do it myself, takes me about 15 minutes, last time I got almost a full coffee can from a 13 ft chimney pipe which kind of surprised me since my wood is nice and dry. Didn't expect that much

I don’t burn 24/7, and even though I run a smoke dragon, I try to keep small, hot fires to keep the stack warm, so cleaning mine once a year works fine.