cleaning the combustion chamber Piazzetta Monia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

douggunn

Nov 28, 2023
Phoenixville, Pa
The Piazzetta Monia 2.0 Maintenance Manual lists "cleaning the combustion chamber" as weekly maintenance that should performed by the owner. It involves removing the cast iron back panel to expose the combustion chamber. This seems excessive. I did it for the first time today after running my new stove all day every day for 2-1/2 weeks, and there wasn't a lot of soot or ashes in there, didn't seem necessary that it be cleaned. Certainly not urgent. How important is it that the combustion chamber be cleaned every 7 days?

I am lazy and also don't clean for 2 or 3 weeks, even just the burn pot and tray, much less the back wall. I burn fairly expensive softwood that seems to have lower ash. I guess I remove the back wall every other time I clean.
Clearly it will burn more efficiently etc. but not cleaning it still works. I have had my Monia for 5 years.