Cleaning up the tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Was curious what people use, if anything, to wipe up their tools after sweeping chimney. I use a power drill for my sooteater and this thing gets pretty nasty. It’s a cheap drill so I might just dedicate it for that purpose. Thoughts?

I use nothing as it doesnt get very much on it at all...

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
Was curious what people use, if anything, to wipe up their tools after sweeping chimney. I use a power drill for my sooteater and this thing gets pretty nasty. It’s a cheap drill so I might just dedicate it for that purpose. Thoughts?
Wet paper towels on the Sooteater segments. My drill stays clean?

I clean top down. Nothing gets on the drill. On my old chimney I cleaned bottom up, but everything fell to the bottom of the T.

I clean bottom up and use the cut open gallon container approach with a shop vac attached. Discharge end of the shop vac I run outside with a second hose. As I take out each segment of the sooteater I clean it with a wet paper towel same as moresnow. My drill stays clean using this method.

Damp paper towel.