Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ArcticTashka

Sep 11, 2017
Inuvik, NT
Hi there,
I have an Alderlea T5 at my cabin and we use it throughout the year. It's time for a chimney cleaning, but I can't seem to figure out how to clear any of the debris that may fall down to the fireplace? Does a plate come out somewhere? or do I need to detach the chimney from the stove in order to clean this area?
Thanks!

You just need to move your baffle. Some of the other PE owners on here should be able to explain how.

lifted from the manual

"Remove retaining pin located at the rear top of the fi rebox, just below the baffle. Lift baffle up and pull forward to disconnect from the supply tube. Tilt baffle sideways to drop down and remove from fi rebox. Inspect gasket between baffle and supply tube. If necessary, replace with gasket #SSER.1395 available from your Pacifi c Energy dealer. Re-install baffle assembly in reverse order. The two side pieces of insulation must be tight against the siderails."

and if you dont still have the manual

http://www.pacificenergy.net/files/9314/3153/2952/ALT5_080515-24.pdf

After pulling the baffle, be sure to stuff a rag in the secondary feed tube so that nothing falls down into it while the flue is being cleaned.

Have a replacement baffle gasket handy, you'll need it each time you remove the baffle(minimal, annually).

Lay a drop cloth in front of the insert to catch debris, soot etc.
Pull the pin that retains baffle in place(in back just below baffle facing you when you look in). Pin is bent from factory, you'll have to wiggle &/or spin it with a pair of pliers or vise grips to remove.
Lift rear of baffle 1/2" or so, enough to lift it off the rear center vertical air channel.
Slide baffle forward, enough to clear rear shelf it rests on.
Slide baffle to right or left till the opposite side clears the side support channel.
Lower baffle side that is clear of the side support, and once below the support, slide to same side that it clears side support ( should be lower than side support now).
Lower baffle down and pull through the door opening while still in a diagonal position.

Take baffle outside, clean off, and vacuum ports & inside the rear channel opening.
Stuff a rag in the top of the rear vertical support channel to avoid sweepings from falling into air channel. I also made a metal plate that sits over the channel on an angle and forces the sweepings to the stove floor.

Close the door, sweep the stack, let all the crud fall to the stove floor.
Vacuum the rear vertical channel opening & rear shelf. Don't forget to remove the rag.
Remove front lower inner boost manifold just inside the door opening, and vacuum the ledge & holes .
Inspect inside of stove, door opening, air wash area etc.

Reinstall baffle with new gasket.
Reinstall boost manifold. either vacuum the inside floor for brick inspection, or leave the sweepings on floor ready to burn with first new load of the season.

Pull side panel(s), clean fan motor(s), clean fan fins, vacuum in the areas that you can get to.

Reinstall panels.

Ready to burn.

Last edited:
Reactions: bfast250