Clearance Above Winter warm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richardrives

Nov 8, 2008
New Jersey
Hi,

First time post here.

I finally installed my Winter Warm (Large) (its been in the garage for 4 years).

My question: I have a vertical clearance of 34" from the hearth to the top of my stone surround, the Winter Warm manual calls for 38".

I was going to install a wood trim piece than a mantel. Is the 34" clearance okay? Does it get really hot on the top of the winter warm?

Thanks,

Rich

If your owner's manual from the manufacturer of your appliance says the minmum required clearance to combustibles above the unit is 38", then nobody here can tell you that 34" is OK. Either you design it so that the closest combustible material meets the manufacturer's requirement, or you find out whether or not you can reduce that clearance by using some sort of shield. At least that's my strictly non-professional cut on it. Sorry I can't be more cheerful. Rick

Maybe consider continuing the stone surround up another course or putting in a stone mantel instead of a wood one?

Status
Not open for further replies.