CLEARANCE FOR DOVRE 300H

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DirtyKranza

Sep 25, 2020
Northern Illinois
Hello....newbie here....with a question about clearance.....

I’ve read many posts detailing clearance, code, proper heat shields, clearance reducing, etc....but cannot find the exact answer to my situation. So please excuse my redundancy if I’ve missed something

I have an older Dovre 300H stove that has been restored and is in excellent condition. I’d like to do a corner install. Stove specs state front, back, and side clearances. If using the air gap method of creating a heat shield surrounding the Back and sides of the stove....I’ve found online you can reduce stove clearance by 2/3. So for example my stove says is back clearance is 20” from combustibles.....if using an air gap heat shield....with it reduce my clearance to 6.67”(2/3 of 20)?

Im asking because I also find a minimum clearance number of 12” from combustibles pretty prevalent on the forum. Is the 12” for when there is no manufacture specs on the stove? Am I safe to go less than 12” if maintaining an air gap of 1” behind my heat shield with open gaps on the bottom and top of shield to allow for circulation of air?

thank you in advance,

robin

12" is the minimum reduction unless the manufacturer has listed a lower clearance that they have tested the stove to.

Not sure if you found your answer, however another member has a post that includes a pdf version of the owners manual for a Dovre 300H and lists all of the clearances and requirements for that stove.