Clearance Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ajsteffen

Nov 7, 2022
Wyoming
Hello,

Been lurking here for a while now, but finally have a question that I can find an answer to.
Installing a Drolet Escape 1800. I have the ember pad and clearances to walls all laid out. My question: the manufacturer requires 16” side wall to combustibles, and 36” from the front of the stove to combustibles (a wall?); does the 36” clearance in front match the stove width, or stove width +16” on each side? I don’t have a wall within 36” of the front of the stove, but a tv entertainment center about 6” from the side wall and 18” in front of the stove. See attached (purple is stove and green is tv center).

For reference, located in Wyoming.

Thanks for the help.
Austin

E5856CC1-0335-430B-9B13-2E3E0D2A6CCD.jpeg C33AB356-4AD6-44C8-A262-7F777720050E.png

36" front clearance to combustibles is just that. Not completely clear on your description/concern? Good luck and be safe.

My question is whether the 36” clearance is directly in front of the stove, matching the width of the stove? For example, if my stove were 30” wide, would the “clearance required” in front of the stove be 36”x30”?

My question is whether the 36” clearance is directly in front of the stove, matching the width of the stove? For example, if my stove were 30” wide, would the “clearance required” in front of the stove be 36”x30”?
From everything I have seen, yes.

Reactions: Ajsteffen
Any reason you wouldn't consider installing at a 45 deg angle?
I need to check exactly how the layout works in the room, but primarily due to proximity to my couches, and it would actually put the side wall of the stove at less than 16” to the tv stand.

Reactions: Shank
If you measure from the corner of the stove to the corner of the TV stand what do you get? I think the TV being that close to the stove is not going to be happy. What if you put some protection on the walls and turned the stove 45*?

Call the stove manufacturer and ask for clarification. I wouldn't be comfortable with it that close myself though.

If you measure from the corner of the stove to the corner of the TV stand what do you get? I think the TV being that close to the stove is not going to be happy. What if you put some protection on the walls and turned the stove 45*?
14” from stove corner to tv stand corner, which is above the 10” corner measurement to combustibles on the rear of the stove in a corner installation. The tv is further away yet from the stove, well outside 36”.

Last edited:
Call the stove manufacturer and ask for clarification. I wouldn't be comfortable with it that close myself though.
So I spoke with Drolet. They couldn’t give a specific recommendation, but essentially they told me that radiation from the front of the stove should be directly in line with the stove edges, and as such clearance requirement in front of the stove should be at the stove width as a minimum. That being said, it probably safer to extend that clearance boundary out each side 8” (floor protection width).

Reactions: bholler
I don't see the diagram that was posted in this manual. That diagram looks like an enclosed alcove and a different circumstance than what is shown in the sketch. Note that I see different clearances for this stove in the 2020 manual. Not sure where the discrepancy lies. Is this the right manual?

To keep clearances lower, use double-wall stove pipe. This is what the manual lists for the Escape 1800. With a double-wall connector, the rear clearance A is 3" and the side clearance B is 4".

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.46.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.46.56 AM.png

I don't see the diagram that was posted in this manual. That diagram looks like an enclosed alcove and a different circumstance than what is shown in the sketch. Note that I see different clearances for this stove in the 2020 manual. Not sure where the discrepancy lies. Is this the right manual?

To keep clearances lower, use double-wall stove pipe. This is what the manual lists for the Escape 1800. With a double-wall connector, the rear clearance A is 3" and the side clearance B is 4".

View attachment 302302View attachment 302303
Interesting, I’m not sure where the discrepancy lies. I’m pulling clearances from the manual linked on Drolets website, so I assume this is the most up to date. It appears double walled pipe buys some reduction on rear clearance and corner clearance, but not side clearance.

I think what I’ll do is ensure I have 48” in front, plus 8” on either side out front (still maintaining all other side, back etc, clearances, and see how it performs. If I find the tv stand getting warmer than 150f, I’ll mitigate with a heat shield or relocation.

I appreciate all the help guys.

Attachments

• 46240A_2021-09-17.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 82
Well, that is interesting. I have their 2020 model manual. I got it in Nov 2021. Now it appears that they have updated it. The clearances have increased by a couple inches for double-wall stove pipe. This is the new chart. It sounds like you are exceeding clearances and will be ok.

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 1.52.34 PM.png

Well, that is interesting. I have their 2020 model manual. I got it in Nov 2021. Now it appears that they have updated it. The clearances have increased by a couple inches for double-wall stove pipe. This is the new chart. It sounds like you are exceeding clearances and will be ok.

View attachment 302321
I felt the person I talked to yesterday at Drolet didn’t really know what he was talking about, so I reached out to Drolets technical support team, here was their response:

“In answer to your question, you must be 48 inches away from all combustibles for the WHOLE width of the stove and the floor protection.”

Reactions: begreen
For the front of the stove that is correct. It sounds like you have a good plan.