Clearance Question for baby bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Michbrog23

Dec 4, 2022
Danville, KY
I’m hoping to try and install a baby bear In our living room,( have a lead on one) but curious on the clearances and the possibility of making it work. The fireplace opening is 26”W by about 31”H, and 11” D and the measurements of the overall masonry part is 60” W by 63” H. With the Baby bear’s width, looks like it would be about 22-24” to the edge of the drywall on the right side and about the same to the edge of the wood on the left. Looking at the manual for both the non UL listed and UL listed stove, it’s shows the back wall and corner clearance of 36” for the older model and a back wall clearance of 30” and 32” for corner clearance on the listed stove. My question is which clearance # would I need to apply here, and would it be possible to use heat shields or other methods to make the installation work, thanks!

47BBC404-0F2F-45E2-A017-A8941B927F74.png

Measure on an angle in all directions from the stove surface to combustible material. Any combustible material within 36 inches needs protection. A stove board, UL approved for this purpose is easily attached and comes in different sizes. Or you can make your own from any non-combustible material. The shield requires a 1 inch air space behind it, spaced from wall with any non-combustible spacers. Open top and at least 1 inch air space from floor on bottom for air flow to carry away hot air behind it. The stove boards are light enough to hang on spacers with a few screws and come in different colors. This reduces clearance by 66% down to 12 inch minimum.

de002f2.gif de002f1.gif
Keep the back of the stove a few inches from masonry for air flow to cool rear sheet of stove. The farther out it is the better for radiant heating.

Reactions: Michbrog23