Clearance question for wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tbreed07

Oct 21, 2023
Hays, KS
New member here trying to figure out what I need to do for my wood stove install. I pulled out an old 1980s metal prefab fireplace which has and exterior alcove for the double walled insulated pipe. I am planning to install a Vermont Casting Dutchwest 246 in the alcove and I don't have a ton of space to do so. The manual tells me I can do 18" on side walls with "protected walls" and a heat shield. What are considered protected walls? Based on this website https://todayshomeowner.com/fireplace/guides/wood-burning-stoves-wall-protection/ you can reduce your spacing by 67% by using the heat shield on wall method. Any help would be appreciated!

20231021_201302.jpg 20231021_201312.jpg 20231021_201343.jpg

You need to find specifications for an alcove installation. And I can guarantee you don't have anywhere near enough height in that opening

Reactions: cahaak
Yea I know I'm going to have to re-frame my height. Im having no luck finding specs for alcove installation.
It's very possible it's not approved for an alcove installation

Which size 246? is this? I don't see any alcove installation info in the manual for the 246x series. It's a strongly radiant stove with large clearances. With proper NFPA wall shielding the overall width of the alcove will need to be at least 50" for the 2461. There is no height guidance so the safe bet is 84".

Which size 246? is this? I don't see any alcove installation info in the manual for the 246x series. It's a strongly radiant stove with large clearances. With proper NFPA wall shielding the overall width of the alcove will need to be at least 50" for the 2461. There is no height guidance so the safe bet is 84".
Sorry I mistyped, it's the 2462 model. I decided to use my alcove for wood storage and put a TV above it and put my stove to the right of the alcove.

Reactions: begreen
Sorry I mistyped, it's the 2462 model. I decided to use my alcove for wood storage and put a TV above it and put my stove to the right of the alcove.
Not a bad choice at all. Much easier to do safely

Reactions: begreen
Good plan, the 2462 is the widest of the series. Consider lining the alcove with metal or laminate. Wood banging against the side and back wall will make a quick mess out of a paint job.

Good plan, the 2462 is the widest of the series. Consider lining the alcove with metal or laminate. Wood banging against the side and back wall will make a quick mess out of a paint job.
Actually thinking I'll just tile the whole alcove since I already have the durarock on it :)