Clearance question (integrated heat shield confusion)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ozarker

Dec 1, 2022
AR, US
Due to the location of a truss in my attic, I have to decide on locating my US2000E stove either 6" or 26" from my "NFPA 211 Ventilated Shield Wall" (1/2 hardiebacker over 1 1/2 metal studs, so drywall is either 7 3/4" or 27 3/4" from back of stove). I'm using double wall low clearance stove pipe (Duravent DVL-6). I'd prefer the 6" option otherwise the stove will be in the "middle" of the room.

The stove manual states 12" rear clearance to combustibles. Per my reading here, the shield wall technically allows a 50% reduction in clearance to combustibles. However, the US2000E stove has a factory installed integrated sheet metal shield on the back of the unit which creates a 1 1/2" air gap between the shield and the firebox. The 12" minimum clearance shown in the manual is from the back of the shield to combustibles.

I've read that dual shielding is "unknown". So I'm confused as to the potential for clearance reduction in light of the stove's integrated heat shield. Could use some help clarifying. Thanks.

Due to the location of a truss in my attic, I have to decide on locating my US2000E stove either 6" or 26" from my "NFPA 211 Ventilated Shield Wall" (1/2 hardiebacker over 1 1/2 metal studs, so drywall is either 7 3/4" or 27 3/4" from back of stove). I'm using double wall low clearance stove pipe (Duravent DVL-6). I'd prefer the 6" option otherwise the stove will be in the "middle" of the room.

The stove manual states 12" rear clearance to combustibles. Per my reading here, the shield wall technically allows a 50% reduction in clearance to combustibles. However, the US2000E stove has a factory installed integrated sheet metal shield on the back of the unit which creates a 1 1/2" air gap between the shield and the firebox. The 12" minimum clearance shown in the manual is from the back of the shield to combustibles.

I've read that dual shielding is "unknown". So I'm confused as to the potential for clearance reduction in light of the stove's integrated heat shield. Could use some help clarifying. Thanks.
Unless the manual allows for reduction below that 12" requirement you cannot go closer