Clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mechanized82

Sep 3, 2018
Pittsburgh PA
When measuring for the clearance of non combustibles in front of an insert, do you measure from the edge of the insert opening or the center? For side to side clearance.

It looks like in my install manual it is from the center but I want to be sure. I have to put down tile and lay down hardwood floor around it so its all flush. Last thing I want to do is have to cut out/remove hardwood floor to add more tile lol.

I'm assuming this is for the hearth, correct? Usually this is measured from the door face. Tip - Add a couple inches and take it out to 18" which is standard in Canada. A little extra protection for the nice hardwood floor is a good thing. As for the width, it normally is the width of the fireplace opening + 8" on each side.

Can you post a picture?

upload_2019-3-1_16-13-43.pngupload_2019-3-1_16-14-52.png

Its a wood burning insert in a hearth. I can't get pics just now. I was told by someone at code enforcement that code is "18 or 24 inches from the opening, I forget" lol... and they are hard to get a hold of so here I am.

24 from the front, straight out, is easy. I just don't know if the left to right clearance is measured from center or from edge of the opening. I suppose the diagram is showing from center. Maybe I can keep trying the goofy code guy. lol... they never answer their phones though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the insert manufacturer has included the 7.5" projection of the insert out onto the hearth to come up with 23.5". It doesn't hurt to make it larger. More protection for the wood floor around it.

It looks like the insert manufacturer has included the 7.5" projection of the insert out onto the hearth to come up with 23.5". It doesn't hurt to make it larger. More protection for the wood floor around it.

True. I suppose I'd just hate to find out the hard way that for some reason my municiple's code was 24 inches (rather than 8) from the opening not from center :eek: Anyone ever hear of that?

Canada's more conservative code requires a deeper and wider hearth. That is why the different dimensions.

Note that the other side clearances listed at the top are to combustibles. Of the two listed, one is for side walls, and the other is for side trim (mantel).

What is the make and model of the insert?

Canada's more conservative code requires a deeper and wider hearth. That is why the different dimensions.

Note that the other side clearances listed at the top are to combustibles. Of the two listed, one is for side walls, and the other is for side trim (mantel).

What is the make and model of the insert?

quadrafire 3100i. I have an extension with a depth of 12in from the stone wall meanwhile the insert sticks out around 9in on top of the extension. I'm trying to figure out how much of the floor in front of the extension needs to be tile (non combustible).

24in out from door is simple, going to lay 2 rows of 12" tile, but I was trying to figure out the width required left to right. If its 24" from center then I only need to drop 4 tiles wide 2 deep. If its 24 from the edge of opening I'd need 6x2 for tile.