Clearance question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Downtherabbithole

Oct 14, 2021
West Virginia- Southern
Good morning friends!
So my dad brought us this .. Vogelzang? USSC?
Anywho- it's cast iron I believe. And we're planning on making a hardy backer surround (for now, until I can get stones to add on) but .. does it count as clearance to non-combustible? Manual says combustible clearance must be 36 inches, but that takes up so much of my corner, I'm hopeful we can cut some of this off?
Really wish we had someone here who knew what they were doing haha.
Thanks all!

Screenshot_20211209-100618.png

Last edited:
The Hardy Board does not lower the tolerance requirement. The 36" would be from the studs to the stove, regardless of the backer board. Only option would be to swap studs out for steel studs (and even then you'd be measuring to the sheathing or drywall on the back side, so you'd only be gaining 3.5") or heat shield. I believe Heat shield is some type of metal or non combustible surface, offset from the wall by an inch or two to provide air flow behind it. This does not cut clearances to zero, i think it cuts them in half, or something along those lines. Someone more experienced than me should be able to provide those specifics.

Reactions: MR. GLO
A proper ventilated heat shield will cut clearances by 2/3.
Hey old post I know, but I'm planning on building a heat shield for my Waterford trinity in my living room, hat channel for a stand off with cement board and tile. If my manual calls for 14" of corner clearance, as long as I leave my 1" gap on top and bottom I should be able to keep it at 1/3 of 14? So basically 14x0.33= 4.62"? Thanks in advance. Having issues finding axact answers. My manual basically says I can build a heat shield and shows pics of the stove super close to the wall but gives no dimensions

Hey old post I know, but I'm planning on building a heat shield for my Waterford trinity in my living room, hat channel for a stand off with cement board and tile. If my manual calls for 14" of corner clearance, as long as I leave my 1" gap on top and bottom I should be able to keep it at 1/3 of 14? So basically 14x0.33= 4.62"? Thanks in advance. Having issues finding axact answers. My manual basically says I can build a heat shield and shows pics of the stove super close to the wall but gives no dimensions
No it can only reduce clearances to 12" unless the stove manufacturer says otherwise. Some manufacturers don't allow reduction below their specified clearances at all

No it can only reduce clearances to 12" unless the stove manufacturer says otherwise. Some manufacturers don't allow reduction below their specified clearances at all
So maybe I'm being dumb but this is what my manual has. I feel it leaves a lot to the imagination... from this picture it looks like a proper heat shield can get me very close

Screenshot_20220110-141526_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220110-141519_Chrome.jpg