Clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
I have a question about side wall clearances. My Encore is installed on a hearth. One wall is parallel to the rear of the stove, so it's a non issue. The other wall is at about a 45 degree angle, angling away from the stove. So at its closest point, the rear corner of the stove is about 25" from the wall, the distance increasing to about 33" from the front corner.

My manual calls for a minimum of 18" of clearance to an unprotected wall running parallel to the side of the stove. So clearly I'm fine per the requirement. However, that wall feels a bit toastier than I'd really like (not too hot to touch, just really warm). Reason for concern?

Here are a couple pics so you can get a better visual idea:

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 158
After the stove has been running hot for hours, can you hold your hand on the hottest point on the wall for a couple seconds? If so, it's likely ok.

Absolutely. It's never too hot to touch for any length of time. Just wasn't expecting
it to feel as warm as it does.

Lots of radiant energy. Warms that wall up...then the wall re-radiates the energy, as does everything else in the room where the stove is burning. With the clearances you measured, I don't see any cause for concern, especially in light of the qualitative test you ran after BG's suggestion. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.