Clearance reduction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Darin

Sep 23, 2019
Minong Wi
The plan is good. I would use 1/2" plywood with 2 layers of Durock NexGen to raise the hearth R value. The wall shield plan is good. Be sure to leave a 1" gap at the bottom and open at the top so that air can freely convect behind the panels. Personally I am not too worried about the strips or screws behind the stove. It is a pinprick of heat and the tile on top will diffuse any direct heat.

I am also wondering the minimum distance my wood stove can be to the wall wit durock and stone wall ?
The specs for the papa bear stove say 30 inches. The stove is 24 inches and then 17 inche pad in front of the stove. That really pushes the stove and pad way out into the room.
Any advice on how I can get the stove closer to the wall?

With a proper, ventilated wall shield the rear clearance can be reduced to 12".