Clearance to CMU wall with drywall on other side

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ricknasty

Oct 7, 2018
Michigan
I am looking around at getting a new stove to replace my old pre epa one and am a little confused trying to figure out clearances. The stove area now the back wall is Cinder blocks with stone mortared on it (non combustible) but the other side of this wall is a room with drywall on the back side. Would my clearances go to the beginning of the drywall on the back or start right at the stone since its not spaced off of the drywall or anything. This is a difference of about 10" between the two

Bumping . . . for a response.

I am looking around at getting a new stove to replace my old pre epa one and am a little confused trying to figure out clearances. The stove area now the back wall is Cinder blocks with stone mortared on it (non combustible) but the other side of this wall is a room with drywall on the back side. Would my clearances go to the beginning of the drywall on the back or start right at the stone since its not spaced off of the drywall or anything. This is a difference of about 10" between the two
It would start at the drywall. And depending on the stove you use that masonry may offer clearance reduction as well. But really eith most modern stoves the clearances are low enough you wont have any issues.