Clearance to combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trixigirl

Nov 6, 2016
Gansevoort, NY
So, we had took out our single wall pipe out of our chimney and saw that we needed to go up through the roof. We got the materials to do so, but noticed that we have a roof rafter that is one inch away from the pipe I am installing in the attic. Is there a way to overcome the clearance to combustibles and if not, how is the best way to move the roof rafter. Thanks in advance.

1" is very close unless using Excel chimney. What materials did you get? Can you post some pictures of the current situation in the attic?

We got Duratech chimney with double wall pipe.
2 options: offset with a pair of 30 degree elbows. Or cut the rafter back and head it off on both sides with double 2x6's. For added strength you can put a leg vertically that will tie the roof rafter with the bottom cord. I would opt for heading it off if it was me. *

*not applicable to a truss roof system. Only rafters.

That's the plan webby...boy this is getting to be a lot of work. My blaze king princess better reward me nicely after all this :)

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.