Clearance to non-combustible wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MlSS lNFORMATlON

Jul 18, 2022
Massachusetts
I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I have to pull a permit to install our wood stove. The town just goes by the specs for the stove, but the stove only gives clearance to combustible walls. I guess it's a liability thing. I called the manufacturer, and they aren't budging.

The town says if I can find something official somewhere with specifications to a non-combustible wall, they will consider it. This is a brick-lined heavily insulated wood stove. We aren't looking to burn the house down of course, but It's going to be in the middle of the room if we have to pull it that far from the wall. I'd like to get it a little tighter if possible.

I'm just not sure where to look to find these numbers. The wall is brick, but I can cover it with porcelain or whatever if that's necessary. I'm not dedicated to the brick.
PXL_20220718_103539725.jpg

What stove are you installing?

The clearance to a completely non-combustible wall (at least 8" of masonry) can be as low as zero. It's not listed in the stove specifications because this is implied. If the mantel shelf is wood, then that and the side shelves would be the nearest combustibles.

Reactions: PatrickWR
What is behind the brick? More brick and outside air? Or a studded wall?