Clearances Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sebastiancee

Dec 3, 2023
Canada
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. I have already tried to find this information online and simply can't, and the WETT tech who came to our house couldn't explain it clearly. Could someone please explain how clearances apply when a wood stove is in front of an alcove? Do the return walls of the alcove only become considered side walls once they are directly adjacent to the stove's side wall, or can they apply diagonally as well? Do you just ignore the side walls of the alcove until the wood stove is actually pushed beyond the opening of the alcove?

This diagram illustrates how we want to place our wood stove just in front of an alcove. The alcove side walls would be just 0.5" from the floor pad on each side. Standard front (18"), side, and rear (8") clearances apply (Canada). Our particular wood stove stipulates 5" corner clearance and 15" side wall clearance for a double walled stove pipe.

Many thanks.

Clearances.jpg

Many stoves have specific alcove clearance requirements. Placing it just in front complicates things. Until the stove is enough in front of the alcove so that the corners of the alcove are at 45º angles to the corners of the stove, I suspect the WETT inspector will still consider the side wall clearance. Does the stove allows reduced clearances with proper wall shielding in the alcove?

Many stoves have specific alcove clearance requirements. Placing it just in front complicates things. Until the stove is enough in front of the alcove so that the corners of the alcove are at 45º angles to the corners of the stove, I suspect the WETT inspector will still consider the side wall clearance. Does the stove allows reduced clearances with proper wall shielding in the alcove?
Thanks for the reply. It does - although I don't find the page very clear. for how it would apply to our situation

Reduced Clearance.JPG

That may be a solution if the WETT inspector allow it.

If not already done, call the manufactures help line and speak to someone that can help you clarify/answer this !