Clearances for PE Alderlea T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevin89

Apr 1, 2022
Maine
Hi! I am about to install a new PE Alderlea T5 and have a questions about clearances. We are installing it in a corner with a granite hearth and stone surround that will be 4' out from the corner on both sides and about 6' high with a mantel. The stove pipe will go up from the stove and then 90 degree and out through the wall to a brick chimney that is outside the wall. I am trying to find the clearances needed. In the manual it specifies 7" or 4" from each rear corner to the wall (depending on single vs double walled connector). However, those specified clearances are to combustible walls. Given that we will have stone non-combustible walls behind the stove are the clearances different? Also is their a preferred height for the thimble? The mason is putting it in tomorrow. Lastly, does it matter if the thimble goes through the stone surround vs the wall above the surround (stove surround and mantel will probably be 6' high). Thanks!

Hi! I am about to install a new PE Alderlea T5 and have a questions about clearances. We are installing it in a corner with a granite hearth and stone surround that will be 4' out from the corner on both sides and about 6' high with a mantel. The stove pipe will go up from the stove and then 90 degree and out through the wall to a brick chimney that is outside the wall. I am trying to find the clearances needed. In the manual it specifies 7" or 4" from each rear corner to the wall (depending on single vs double walled connector). However, those specified clearances are to combustible walls. Given that we will have stone non-combustible walls behind the stove are the clearances different? Also is their a preferred height for the thimble? The mason is putting it in tomorrow. Lastly, does it matter if the thimble goes through the stone surround vs the wall above the surround (stove surround and mantel will probably be 6' high). Thanks!
What is behind the stone? How is the thimble being put in?

It will be a masonry thimble. 12" square concrete block square with stove pipe in the middle and cement filled in between the block and pipe. fireboard behind the stone surround and then house framing between stone surround and external chimney.

Clearance requirements are to combustibles. If there are no combustibles then the point is moot, but I would go with the 4" so that there is room to service the stove if needed, especially if a blower is on this stove. Also, there needs to be enough room for the stovepipe's elbow. The thimble will most likely project a bit into the room, then the elbow will offset the centerline further away from the wall. That will determine the stove location. The thimble should be at least 36" above the stove top though more is good. Note that the stovepipe has its own required clearance from the ceiling that may determine the thimble height. It's 18" for single-wall and 9" for some double-wall stovepipe.

Thanks. They just put the thimble in. It will only be 18" above the stove top so hopefully that will be ok
That's far from ideal, but the stove is an easy breather. How tall will the chimney outside be?

The chimney outside will go up another 20-25 ft from where the thimble is
That will help, make sure that the horizontal section of the connecting stovepipe has a slight uphill slope towards the chimney. 1/4" per foot is recommended.