Clearances from back wall. Manufacturer Spec vs code.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AppleRock

Dec 20, 2016
North Central NH
Ok. I've read a few posts on a similar topic.
But still don't get it. Either that or my abilities to do math are failing.
We'll say single wall vert pipe to keep it simple and establish a ref point. Code says 18" from combustibles. Not from center of pipe, but From.
Notice the 4 attached images all clipped from their manuals.

1. The PE T6 I'll almost buy. It's close at 17.75" from center of pipe. 14.75" from wall.
2. The Enviro Boston 1700 is 15" from pipe, so 18" from center. Again, close to code. But 3" too close.
3. Now the Jotul F55 is 10" (13" from pipe center) With collar shield, which is just a small piece (approx 6"x6") near stove/pipe connection. 18" away without. What about the part of the pipe (most of it) above the shield? Code (not as I am aware) doesn't say 18" away from wall near collar, but 1 ft up, 10" is fine.
4. And the best one, is the Quad Exp 3 at 7" (10.5 from center) with single wall pipe. No mention of any type of pipe heat shield. And dbl wall only buys you an extra inch closer. (6")

I talked with a couple dealers that did confirm the specs were correct (in all cases) and not a misprint.
They were a little baffled as well, and the best answer I got was "we always do 18 away". Which is code, I agree with and think it's fine.......but seriously, what gives? I am missing something, I'm sure, as is usually the case. :) I'd rather put my stove back as far (and safely) as I can. The more up front the better. As in coals with minds of their own. I swear......some do.

Attachments

• clearance t6.png
    clearance t6.png
    50 KB · Views: 143
  • clearance 1700.png
    clearance 1700.png
    76 KB · Views: 152
  • clearance f55.png
    clearance f55.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 165
  • clearance exp3.png
    clearance exp3.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 150
This is a very easy answer, no matter what stove you choose, if you install single wall pipe you have to keep the greater of the 2 distances, so either the stove can be installed closer to a wall, but since the single wall pipe needs a minimum of 18", the stove may need to get kicked away from the wall depending on the install.
If you use double wall black pipe, then the minimum clearance for the black pipe to a combustible wall can be reduced to 6" that's where different stoves can be installed closer, you may be able to buy a stove that can be installed 6" to a wall with approved heat shields and be perfectly fine because you are using double wall black pipe.
Same stove if using single wall will have to be installed with the higher clearance to meet the 18" from the single wall.
Also the stove may have tested with a certain brand of single wall pipe and pass all tests to get UL certified, but that certification is just for the stove, the pipe manufacture built a stove pipe that meets all UL requirements but was certified be used no closer then 18"

Manufacspecs over ride code kenny is right if the pipe manufacturer specs 18" it needs to be 18". But most either dont spec or say 18" unless otgerwise speced

This is a very easy answer, no matter what stove you choose, if you install single wall pipe you have to keep the greater of the 2 distances, so either the stove can be installed closer to a wall, but since the single wall pipe needs a minimum of 18", the stove may need to get kicked away from the wall depending on the install.

I'm with you. But on a vert collar exit whether the pipe exits through the wall or ceiling is not really relevant to this spec as the pipe will run perpendicular to the wall in either case. Just for a shorter distance on wall exit (when is runs into combination of a 90 deg bend) to an external chimney, or for a longer distance - until it exits through the ceiling.

If it's common knowledge that code (for all states), and published by all single wall pipe manufacturers I've seen, for single wall pipe is 18" away, why would stove manufactures publish specs nearly half that? As I said, the dealers I consulted about this were baffled as well. I'm not trying to be difficult, but would like a real explanation. (for the record, I am installing with the 18" spec. I don't wanna be accused of trying to "cheat the system") I just wanna know........whatup with that?

Manufacspecs over ride code

Which manufacturer? Pipe or stove?
I know, when it doubt, choose the safer option.
But why the confusion?

Which manufacturer? Pipe or stove?
I know, when it doubt, choose the safer option.
But why the confusion?
Both and if the specs contradict each other you go with the more stringent one. But most single wall pipe has no spec or the spec says unless otherwise specified.

That being said if i cant make 18" i go with double wall.

I'm with you. But on a vert collar exit whether the pipe exits through the wall or ceiling is not really relevant to this spec as the pipe will run perpendicular to the wall in either case. Just for a shorter distance on wall exit (when is runs into combination of a 90 deg bend) to an external chimney, or for a longer distance - until it exits through the ceiling.

If it's common knowledge that code (for all states), and published by all single wall pipe manufacturers I've seen, for single wall pipe is 18" away, why would stove manufactures publish specs nearly half that? As I said, the dealers I consulted about this were baffled as well. I'm not trying to be difficult, but would like a real explanation. (for the record, I am installing with the 18" spec. I don't wanna be accused of trying to "cheat the system") I just wanna know........whatup with that?
They spec less because they tested it. Code also says the stove needs to be 36" from an unprotected wall and they can reduce that.

I always try to err on the side of caution.

My Jotul F3CB says 16" of hearth...... I have 18". Stuff like that.........

Dave

Reactions: bholler
I always try to err on the side of caution.

Dave
Yes it is very rare that i install to minimum code required.

Kinda my point. We're all tight on space. But If I have 1,2 or even 3 inches to play with, I'd rather have it in front. 18", like Canadian spec.

Kinda my point. We're all tight on space. But If I have 1,2 or even 3 inches to play with, I'd rather have it in front. 18", like Canadian spec.
Just use double wall and dont worry about it

Just use double wall and dont worry about it
That's what the dealer and I agreed.
......however we also agreed the it didn't answer the question. :)

That's what the dealer and I agreed.
......however we also agreed the it didn't answer the question. :)
The answer to your question is if the pipe specifies 18" with no exception you need to do that. If it doesnt you can go with the stove spec

It's not a question of the "right" way to go about this. The dealer(s) and I are in agreement of the proper options. This is more of a "that weird art piece" you see on someone's coffee table where nobody can explain what the heck it is, and why it's there.
I was hoping I could get some info to "share" with my dealer(s)

It's not a question of the "right" way to go about this. The dealer(s) and I are in agreement of the proper options. This is more of a "that weird art piece" you see on someone's coffee table where nobody can explain what the heck it is, and why it's there.
I was hoping I could get some info to "share" with my dealer(s)
I am not sure what more you want. I gave you the answer.