Clearences for double wall insulated pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbuff

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2007
Central NJ
I was just doing another inspection of the install of my stove, and decided to take a look in the attic, at the stove pipe going through the roof. It is double wall insulated stainless pipe rated at 2100'f. Now here is my question, the pipe seems to have ample clearance around 80% of it, one part of the pipe is only about 2-3" away from a wood rafter. Is this ok? the installer notched the rafter to give this amount of space, I just figured I'd ask the pro's(on Hearth.com) before calling the the company.

Sorry for all the questions, all the time. It's all right if you call me a pain in the "ash" my wife does all the time.

Tom(NJ)

Most class A chimney requires 2" clearance to combustibles. Check with the manufacturer of yours to be sure.

Thanks, you were right. The chimney manufacturer is Security Chimneys. and they call for 2" safety clearence.

Tom(NJ)

It's OK, but if it makes you feel better, you can put a piece of sheet metal between the pipe and the rafter. This will spread out the heat and may make the difference if you ever had a chimney fire. There's nothing wrong with being overly cautious!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.