Closed Boiler System Water PH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sid

Jan 5, 2015
Colchester Connecticut
I understand the recommend PH of boiler systems is anywhere from neutral to 8.5 or even higher for some systems (see quote/source below).

My question is, for a mostly ferrous system, why the need? I understand there will be an initial oxidation when the system is new, but once all the oxygen is depleted, how can it continue without any new (feed water is shut off) water? Is there other corrosion issues besides oxidation that I'm unaware of?

I'm going on 8th year of my system shown here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...iler-with-1000-gallon-thermal-storage.138501/
That was filled with acidic (PH 5.6) well water. Every year I tell myself to neutralize and add inhibitors, but then again there is no signs of rust or corrosion. The y strainer is clean and water is not rusty looking. Treating over 1000 gallons isn't cheap, so I will do it if necessary but I'm trying to understand the science and not just repeated statements from companies that sell this stuff.

"The ideal pH range for a system that contains Aluminum is 7.0 to 8.5. The current recommended pH for a closed loop system utilizing ferrous components (i.e. primarily steel or cast iron heat exchangers, piping and fittings., pump housings, etc.) is 9.0 to 10.5." https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/83255/water-chemistry-w-aluminum-boilers-iron-radiators

With 1000 gallons, is your system really Closed, or is it an Open system? I believe with an Open system, new water is added so there is added oxygen. I have a 60 gallon system with an expansion tank. It has been in use 43 years now with the same water with no problem since the oxygen was depleted in the first year of operation.

With 1000 gallons, is your system really Closed, or is it an Open system? I believe with an Open system, new water is added so there is added oxygen. I have a 60 gallon system with an expansion tank. It has been in use 43 years now with the same water with no problem since the oxygen was depleted in the first year of operation.
It is a fully closed system, with 2 Amtrol bladder expansion tanks. Thanks for your input, 43 years no problems is good to hear.