Closing second chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Harv

Jan 11, 2023
Pennsylvania
I have a chimney with 2 flues, one is used for a fireplace on the main floor. In my basement, the back side of the second flue has a 6" clay pipe which been used as a vent for a clothes dryer. (I have now re-routed the dryer vent and hired a certified chimney cleaner to remove all lint from this flue.) On the front side of the chimney wall in the basement the builder created a second 6" clay pipe in this same flue about 12" lower than the pipe for the old clothes dryer vent, This lower pipe is ideally situated for a wood stove on a cement floor against a cement block wall in the basement. I would like to close this upper 6" pipe and install a wood stove in the basement using the lower 6" clay pipe. What is the safest and most cost effective means of blocking this upper clay pipe?

I have a chimney with 2 flues, one is used for a fireplace on the main floor. In my basement, the back side of the second flue has a 6" clay pipe which been used as a vent for a clothes dryer. (I have now re-routed the dryer vent and hired a certified chimney cleaner to remove all lint from this flue.) On the front side of the chimney wall in the basement the builder created a second 6" clay pipe in this same flue about 12" lower than the pipe for the old clothes dryer vent, This lower pipe is ideally situated for a wood stove on a cement floor against a cement block wall in the basement. I would like to close this upper 6" pipe and install a wood stove in the basement using the lower 6" clay pipe. What is the safest and most cost effective means of blocking this upper clay pipe?
Firebrick and refractory mortar.