Cloudy glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike508

Jul 17, 2017
MA
I have noticed that after 3 years my class is starting to develop a very slight cloudiness in the dead center. I do not think this relates to the typical "dirty" glass, that I sometimes get in the corners of the glass and clean off with a wet paper towel nor is it "fly ash" that easily wipes off. It is a haze that appears like a very light white cloud. I wonder if it may have been from a fire that ran too hot? Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions to clean it?

Edit: Found some good posts on solutions to try after trying some varied search criteria.

Last edited:
I think it is an etching of some sort. My noncat runs hot and I get this cloudiness in the hottest areas. I can clean like crazy but it's not crystal clear anymore. Microscopic pitting? I know you can etch glasses in the dishwasher if your water chemistry isn't neutral.

I suspect you are correct. I found some youtube videos where people essential polish it out via many rounds of sanding with micro abrasives. I am wondering if this is common or if this is a warning sign that I am running the stove too hot.

I know that my stove will do that it’s the way air hits the glass on its way out to the chimney and bakes fly ash on to it. It comes off though.

This etching develops over time if flyash is left on the glass, hot fires burn it into the ceramic.

I had that issue after several years of burning . . . I think I used vinegar or something similar to clean it off if I remember correctly.
Might have been lemon juice. Pretty sure it was one of those things. I suspect the cloudiness I saw was minerals from when I have wiped down the "glass" when it was still a little too warm with a damp papertowel.

Last edited:
Pretty normal, mine is still clear and you can see the fire very nicely, but when you have the door open, I can see a slight haze. I use the same mixture that we make ourselves for window cleaning. Distilled water, Isopropyl Alcohol, and Ammonia. Works great,