Clydesdale 8492 drafting problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yosemite Sam

Jun 24, 2023
Trinidad CA
Just had the catalytic Clydesdale installed and it takes forever (like half an hour with the door cracked open) to get it to draft properly. My chimney liner is my existing "Homesaver" oval pipe with a new oval to 6" round adaptor. The liner previously handled an 8" exhaust from an old non air tight Regency insert that would fire right up and get going in just a couple of minutes. With the new Clydesdale, at start up the fire drafts fine and gets small to medium size kindling going just fine but as soon as I close the door it starves the fire out. If I leave it cracked for half an hour as I add larger wood it will finally continue to burn but it's crazy how long this takes. And yes I have the center draft pulled all the way out and the catalyst handle pulled all the way out as well. I've been using bone dry pine to test this thing so moisture is not the problem. Anybody else have a similar experience?
Thanks

How tall is the liner or chimney? What is the outside temperature?

Liner is no more than 15' and outside temp is around 55 degrees F. I ran another test this morning and the fire was able to sustain itself after 15 minutes of the door cracked so maybe that's what I will shoot for. The fan also came on before I closed the door so that may also be a good indicator ? Here's a pic of the liner before it was installed about 12 years ago. The oval connector is from the old Regency. We used an oval to round 6" on the Clydesdale install.

RB oval pipe.jpg

The stove is probably fine. The shortish, ovalized chimney liner and warmer outside temps are weakening draft. I think you will find it has a notably improved behavior with outdoor temps at 45º or below. The new Hearthstones seem to like a stronger draft. The old Regency had a much simpler internal air path and probably would work on a 10' liner. If regular operation at 50-55º is desired, add another length of liner.

The manual for the 8492 is online here:

Thanks begreen. I normally would not be even lighting a fire during summer but I'm trying to get this new Clydesdale figured out. Our winter temps on the northern California coast are typically high 30's to low 50's so we shall see how that affects start up come fall. Could the slow start up and 55 degree temp also contribute to soot on the glass? And thanks for the link. I already had found it to install the cats.

The new Clydesdale just showed up last season. We don't have a lot of info on behavior. A few folks reported sooting in the corners of the glass. A weak draft can make this worse.

Just had the catalytic Clydesdale installed and it takes forever (like half an hour with the door cracked open) to get it to draft properly. My chimney liner is my existing "Homesaver" oval pipe with a new oval to 6" round adaptor. The liner previously handled an 8" exhaust from an old non air tight Regency insert that would fire right up and get going in just a couple of minutes. With the new Clydesdale, at start up the fire drafts fine and gets small to medium size kindling going just fine but as soon as I close the door it starves the fire out. If I leave it cracked for half an hour as I add larger wood it will finally continue to burn but it's crazy how long this takes. And yes I have the center draft pulled all the way out and the catalyst handle pulled all the way out as well. I've been using bone dry pine to test this thing so moisture is not the problem. Anybody else have a similar experience?
Thanks
I too have many of the same issues. Did they install a blocker plate or seal around the liner in the damper area as per the installation instructions? See attached.

IMG_3987.jpeg IMG_3986.jpeg