Clydesdale soot on glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

birthsister

Mar 4, 2022
ct
I have a hearthstone clydesdale that got a makeover this fall. Because of the warm winter, I've only run it about 4 times, the first time just a test burn, really. The last time about a month ago for the weekend when we had a cold snap. My wood has been inside since about Dec so is pretty dry (it's cracked and split and catches easily, so I'm going to assume it's dry). But today I noticed A LOT (to me, who hasn't had a woodstove before) of soot on the glass. Is this indicative what might be going on in the chimney and should I not start a fire until that gets cleaned? Can that much soot build up with only 3 fires over 4 months? (Today is the 4th). Thanks for any input.

I think soot on the glass usually means the fire isn't burning hot enough. That could be from wet wood, or choking the air back too much, a poorly structured fire, bad chimney draft. Other less likely reasons would be some malfunction, like your airwash system isn't working or the stove isn't sealed right.

Sometimes my first load starting the stove will really dirty the glass (wet wood), but a strong reload will burn that right off. If you want to clean it sooner, white ash on a wet paper towel takes it off like magic.

I have a Hearthstone Clydesdale, too. My firewood is dry. I get lots of soot on the glass, especially when I engage the catalyst. It happens even with a hot fire. I clean the glass weekly. It’s a struggle trying to get some of the creosote off in the corners. I do have wood stove experience, but not with a catalyst. I’ve never had creosote this bad.

I have a Green Mountain 60, so different but also has a lot of glass for a good view. The installers told me to clean the glass before every new fire with Rutland glass cleaner. I’ve had a lot of solid fires since it got cold and sure enough I end up cleaning the glass everyday. I like it spotless before I start, which is a preference, but I don’t think the creosote build up is unusual. Yes, this is happening in your chimney, but that’s why you clean your chimney at least once a year!

Last edited: