CO2 detector goes off after 1 hour of use. Help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wentreefgirl

Hearth Supporter
Nov 14, 2009
connecticut
My pipe from the stove to the outside is completely sealed. All hopper and door gaskets look ok. What else should i be looking for? Calling englander didnt help much.

If your CO detector is going off in 1 hour you have a pretty major leak. to close to a window? how much pipe is interior?

Try calling the non emergency number for the fire dept. They will bring out their sniffer which is a heck of a lot more accurate, can probably even pinpoint the leak/source

If you do a search a guy had a stove in his boat and had a similar problem. It was solved by adding a section or 2 or pipe to the vertical height or his chimney.

DO NOT IGNORE THIS! Call the FD as seige said, have them come out and take a reading. CO kills.

do you have an OAK?

Make sure the seal on the adapter to the first pipe is sealed tight with RTV.

Even the smallest leak here will make co2

Ok, what is an oak. Its one foot through the wall to the outside but this pipe goes through the wall 3 feet then up 3 feet. ENglanger suggested up 3 feet instead of straight out which is what my neighbor has. This has been here before we bought. I thought it is sealed good at the adapter. I'm thinking hopper gasket as i can really lock down too far or I cant get it to latch. However I will try the fire dept. Does it have to be running long for them to check. I don't run at night so don't think I died. I'm very cautious. Been working on this since last fall.

really shouldnt be running it until problem is resolved. when you get the fd there let them run it and they can use there meter to find source

Ok, fire dept only has detection equiptment. They said call a pellet installer. Called the only installer here and referred me to another they call upon for these problems. Hes coming out wednesday. Now maybe its me but no one wants to deal with this but the expert expert. Even the one who installs. So what if the woodstove store installs it and has co2 issues. They call the other. Weird. Oh well, its going to be dealt with thoguh. Thanks for all the quick and informative responces.

maybe your CO detector is defective or "full", alot of them use a filter of some knd and after time it buiilds up and goes off real easy, is it a led readout style?, i would want to see what the reading is, get a nighthawk or similar

Is it a CO2 detector? Or a CO detector?
There is a big difference.
CO is carbon monoxide, a seriously dangerous, cumulative metabolic toxin that binds to hemoglobin in the blood and impairs oxygen flow through the body. Even low levels are dangerous because it binds tightly to the blood hemoglobin and can build up.

CO2 is carbon dioxide, much less dangerous unless high concentrations build up.

biochemically yours, Doug

It is a dupont carbon monoxide detector. Its only 2 yrs old. Which one do you suggest is there most accurate at a reasonable price?

You could have a plugged vent pipe or stove which would force CO thru any small hole/gap in the system.

The vent pipe needs to be sealed with red RTV silicone at every joint inside the house..... and INSIDE the adaptor that mates the stove to the vent pipe. Seal every hole, gap, rivit, screw, etc. with a heavy dose of silicone.

Mine was leaking at the elbow joints!!! Make sure you check that. Take a lighter or stick candle all around every joint, the flame will tell you where you have a leak!

I have the back panel open. The smell is coming from middle bottom behind the blower so to speak. Need to know what is under what is covered with black insolation. Dont want to pull that off unless I might need to replace. Had a pellet person come but he thought it was the piping and we redid but now im still smelling and got almost to the source but cant figure out where its coming from. I can take a pic if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.