Coalage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

govmule84

Nov 13, 2008
Macungie, PA
So, me and the ol' lady and the little one spent this afternoon stacking wood (about four cords, two more to go.)
We're pushing a 25 year old Vermont Castings Defiant Encore... we've had little problem out of it, I guess...I cleaned the cat when we started using her, and resealed some gaskets, and furnace cemented some leaky spots, and I also had to replace the wire for the thermystat, but other than that, it's a pretty reliable little goober... It just needed some love to get goin'.

I dunno how big our house is, but it's big. And drafty. And here in CT, it's about 18 degrees right now. The stove is not a toy - we don't burn oil...we burn wood. We have a central fireplace and the woodstove. I don't cool it down to empty ashes, and I don't clean the glass - the thing runs, not rests. I could care less what the fire inside looks like through glass, if you get my drift.

Well, I got about 14 inches of coals built up. Is that a problem? I've never had the coal bed so deep, but it's burning wood in a very miserly way right now, and the stove shows 5-700 on top of the griddle. The coals appear to be burning all the way down, so I know it isn't just coal on top of ash, but is it okay to have a coal bed so damn deep?

I run the little animal with the throttle almost completely closed (it has a second intake that regulates pretty well...it looks like it runs off a bi-metallic coil.) It runs about 22 feet of chimney with one 90 degree bend.

Any input greatly appreciated.

-L.

If it's hot enough, then it's working. If it's all coals and not putting out enough heat, open the air a little and let the coals heat up. Pull them forward towards the air as they burn away in front.

14" of coals, I'd for sure let them burn down. You'll appreciate the ability to get more wood in come cold weather. Also, there is a lot of heat in those coals. That is why they put firebrick in stoves! To keep the hot coals away from steel and/or cast. A couple inches of coals should be all you need. Just quit adding wood so often. Regardless, enjoy!

With your stove running in that manor, the only thing left to do is drop a single ice cube into a small glass with a reasonable level of ethanol based adult beverage and enjoy.

Sounds like you got it kick'in to me. :coolsmile:

Oh, it's hot. I only can add 2 or 3 splits at a clip right now - but I keep raking it over to get the ash out. Which is preferable, I guess, flaming wood, or deep deep coals?

When I get a really deep coal bed my heat drops off a bit. I open the air control and the door for a little bit and the coal bed heats up and converts to ash fairly quickly. This way I can add more wood w/o the "lazy burn" that seems to accompany a huge deep bed of coals that can develop burning real hard (feeding it lots of large hardwood spilts for days on end).

Status
Not open for further replies.