Coals not burning down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How do you know it’s 90% good?

What species are you burning? Some coal more than others. Some species also take 2-3x as long to dry than others.

Reactions: all night moe
If the stove is being pushed hard for heat and new wood is piled in on a big bed of coals, then a pretty large coal bed can build up, especially with dense hardwood. Even wide open air will take some time to burn it down at that point. Putting a couple skinny, dry splits on top can help burn it down while still providing some heat.

Reactions: kcmclellan
Others have pointed me towards pine for several reasons. I’m not hating it. I do have it separated out on the big stacks in the shed, but when I bring a load up to the house, I mix it in with oak and Bradford. When I go to the porch and grab an armful, I get a little gitty when I find the pine. It’s clean and hot, and burns off the coals left by the others.

If you have a build up of coals, scrape them to the front in a pile and add more air and get them hot. They will burn down.

Reactions: danrclem
Save your bark. Rake forward open air and put a long piece of bark on top. It will burn your coals down.

Not really mostly dry seasoned maybe a new damp small piece but 90% good
Your question and statement on the dryness of your wood is a pretty common one here on the forum.

There are three causes for coal buildup:
  1. Wet wood, maybe not wet by the definition of usable in a fireplace or in an old non-EPA stove, but wet as in more than 20% moisture content.
  2. Trying to get more heat out of the stove than what occurs in one naturally burning wood cycle. Because the EPA stoves control the air in a way that makes them more efficient early in the burn, they will have less air later in the burn to burn coals down unless you open the air up as the stove enters the coaling stage. If you work away from home and can't tend the stove and manually open it halfway through the burn cycle, this is a bit of a problem. But the suggestions to add pine, bark or other low BTU wood to the top of the coals is a good one.
  3. You might be trying to get more heat out of the stove than it is really capable of in a single burn cycle. It's not surprising you posted during a big cold snap in the middle of winter, so maybe this is a big contributor in your case.
It might be a combination of all of the above. If you are new to an EPA stove, you'll find it gets better after your first year or two as you get ahead on wood and get it dried for 2 or 3 years.