Cob corn in an EKO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SE Iowa:
I know a fella nearby who averaged 5 tons/acre on 70 acres. I saw the plot and the crop was 6 feet high in August.

I have not yet planted it, so I cannot testify to what yields are possible, but there have been many studies done in the USA, so it should be no problem getting data for your area. The southern states seem to have the highest yields.

On the question of whether wood has chlorine, yes it does. The grasses have more, but they can be managed to the same levels.

I am not an authority here (or anywhere else) on switchgrass, due to not having grown it. The information I have passed on here has been gleaned from research on the Internet and a few meetings with experienced growers. REAP Canada has been one of the more prolific contributors to the Intenet knowledgebase on switchgrass. The Dept. Of Energy in the USA has also been prolific on biofuels in general.

Mushroom Man,
Thanks for the information. It seems at this juncture that corn would be more advisable for btu output per acre than switchgrass from the limited data that I currently have as moderate corn us running about 98 million btu per acre. The 6' height of the switch grass is a real eye opener and I can see why it is harvested once per year. Thanks again for the input...

Status
Not open for further replies.