Code and physics of combustibles "above" fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kcwdad

May 28, 2019
Kirkland, WA
Howdy, all! Yes, another question about TVs over fireplaces but I'm looking for specific building code, NFPA and/or physics governing TV & combustibles BEHIND as well as above a fireplace. I've already read plenty of anecdotes and advice about heat's impact on electronics, atrocious viewing angles, etc. I'm looking for specific code & dimension info that I can show to a building inspector.

I will be installing a TV somewhere behind and above a Napoleon Plazmafire direct-vent NG fireplace.

The Plazmafire manual shows a 15” clearance ABOVE the unit, which I take to mean the 8 7/16" deep column of airspace above the unit (yes, the Plazmafire is less than 9" thick and just hangs on the wall like a fat painting. Not really a "fireplace" in any traditional sense, but perfect for my room.)

The manual says nothing about space BEHIND this column of airspace. I can build a chase to bring the fireplace out from the wall and recess the TV into the wall, which puts the TV BEHIND the unit.

Question: is there is a building code and/or NFPA answer or some simple rule of physics that can be used to calculate how distance behind the unit would impact clearance? If TV / combustibles are just 1” behind the back of the fireplace unit is it no longer “above” and can now be any vertical distance? If not, how far set back from the unit does it need to be before it’s no longer considered “above”? Or does each inch of set back equate to some reduction in clearance?

Likewise I’ve seen NFPA cited to say that a non-combustible hearth with air space can bring clearance down to 12”, and that a heat shield can even further reduce clearance. Could this be used in combination with the approach above to enable theoretical zero clearance (my ideal would be 3")?

Howdy, all! Yes, another question about TVs over fireplaces but I'm looking for specific building code, NFPA and/or physics governing TV & combustibles BEHIND as well as above a fireplace. I've already read plenty of anecdotes and advice about heat's impact on electronics, atrocious viewing angles, etc. I'm looking for specific code & dimension info that I can show to a building inspector.

I will be installing a TV somewhere behind and above a Napoleon Plazmafire direct-vent NG fireplace.

The Plazmafire manual shows a 15” clearance ABOVE the unit, which I take to mean the 8 7/16" deep column of airspace above the unit (yes, the Plazmafire is less than 9" thick and just hangs on the wall like a fat painting. Not really a "fireplace" in any traditional sense, but perfect for my room.)

The manual says nothing about space BEHIND this column of airspace. I can build a chase to bring the fireplace out from the wall and recess the TV into the wall, which puts the TV BEHIND the unit.

Question: is there is a building code and/or NFPA answer or some simple rule of physics that can be used to calculate how distance behind the unit would impact clearance? If TV / combustibles are just 1” behind the back of the fireplace unit is it no longer “above” and can now be any vertical distance? If not, how far set back from the unit does it need to be before it’s no longer considered “above”? Or does each inch of set back equate to some reduction in clearance?

Likewise I’ve seen NFPA cited to say that a non-combustible hearth with air space can bring clearance down to 12”, and that a heat shield can even further reduce clearance. Could this be used in combination with the approach above to enable theoretical zero clearance (my ideal would be 3")?
This all depends upon what is speced by the manufacturer of the unit. NFPA is overridden by manufacturers instructions on listed appliances.

Yes. I've heard the TV manufacturers will specify what temperatures the TV can be subject to. I have not heard of anything closer to what you are asking for though. If you find it let us know.