Cold and unusual space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RoundHouse

Nov 12, 2019
Newfield, NY
So, with the help of the experts on this forum, I made the decision to return my VC Defiant Flexburn. I had serious doubts about the operation of the stove, but it really is pretty!

A chimney/wood stove company will now be working with me and they really like Regency steel stoves (non-cat). I can't find much info on Regency's products, but, I do see that they are into the cast iron/ enamel painted cat stoves, too. Is there something big, basic, without all the silly bells and whistles that will still look good in my space AND heat a weird configuration? We are adding a ceiling fan in the "rotunda" where the stove will go (in front of the fireplace) and plan to use the ventilation system in the house to pull the heat throughout (hopefully).

For scale, the fireplace is 5' across and 3' tall, so maybe 10' to the thimble. The room is 30' in diameter; ceiling height around 25'.- 30' and half is lofted. The rest of the house extends from each side of the circle. There are propane gas furnaces on each "arm," which don't do much and are costing us $800+/month in fuel. I hope I posted the pictures correctly.

We bought this place last year and the challenges are piling up. Please don't judge!

1580344019991.png
1580344438586.png

That is one of the more unusual homes I have seen, especially in the US. Looks more like something one would see in the south of France. Very cool, but challenging to heat, thus a better design for a warm climate. Was this a cow barn with a central silo in the past?

What other brands does your dealer sell? Do they have Hearthstone stoves? The Manchester is a very good looking stove that's easy to run and a good heater.

Reactions: webby3650
That is one of the more unusual homes I have seen, especially in the US. Looks more like something one would see in the south of France. Very cool, but challenging to heat, thus a better design for a warm climate. Was this a cow barn with a central silo in the past?

What other brands does your dealer sell? Do they have Hearthstone stoves? The Manchester is a very good looking stove that's easy to run and a good heater.
Yes, summer is great- no air conditioner needed! Ha, no, not a barn, actually designed by an architect to look like a
1580345658668.png

bird. The 70's were interesting times. The dealer does sell Hearthstone. Once we get to the showroom, hopefully, I will have more details and better questions to ask here.

Yes, summer is great- no air conditioner needed! Ha, no, not a barn, actually designed by an architect to look like a View attachment 256137
bird. The 70's were interesting times. The dealer does sell Hearthstone. Once we get to the showroom, hopefully, I will have more details and better questions to ask here.
I sell regencies and none of their noncats are going to be big enough to heat that space. The 5200 is the only one in their line that would have a chance. And that will be working hard to do it if even that can.

So the VC dealer let you return the Defiant without any issues? What other brands do they sell? I’d be giving them my business personally.

Reactions: Ashful and bholler
@webby3650 No, you wouldnt give them your business. Unfortunately, there is a back story there. They were supposed to have the stove installed in Oct. Between ordering the wrong parts, being afraid to climb a ladder, and flat out having no idea how to deal with wood stoves or chimneys, they are lucky to be able to end this. My fault for not doing better research. They are a propane company trying to break in to wood stove sales.

I sell regencies and none of their noncats are going to be big enough to heat that space. The 5200 is the only one in their line that would have a chance. And that will be working hard to do it if even that can.
Good to know. Do you think it could heat that room though, and then we use the ventilation system to pull heat to the rest of the house? Or, can you suggest a different stove that would work? Are you saying a cat would be better?

The house design is the issue. Most of the heat created is going to want to rise to the top of the tall central cylinder. A ceiling fan will help circulate this hot air, but that doesn't get it out to the wings. In general using the heating system fan may be disappointing due to duct losses that cool the air down too much by the time it reaches the far wings.

Good to know. Do you think it could heat that room though, and then we use the ventilation system to pull heat to the rest of the house? Or, can you suggest a different stove that would work? Are you saying a cat would be better?
You said it has a 30' ceiling right? That is a massive ammout of cubic ft. I don't know what stove will handle that?

Reactions: webby3650
@webby3650 No, you wouldnt give them your business. Unfortunately, there is a back story there. They were supposed to have the stove installed in Oct. Between ordering the wrong parts, being afraid to climb a ladder, and flat out having no idea how to deal with wood stoves or chimneys, they are lucky to be able to end this. My fault for not doing better research. They are a propane company trying to break in to wood stove sales.
Ohh my..
Regency makes ok products, no one product will heat an enormous space though. If you are looking to heat the room it’s in, there’s lots of stove that will do the job.

Ohh my..
Regency makes ok products, no one product will heat an enormous space though. If you are looking to heat the room it’s in, there’s lots of stove that will do the job.
What stoves do you think could handle heating that space?

I was going by what the first company said. I just measured for myself. It's only 20 feet high. 30 ft, diameter. Does that help? :)
Yes it cuts the cu ft by a third. But it is still huge

Yes it cuts the cu ft by a third. But it is still huge
The house design is the issue. Most of the heat created is going to want to rise to the top of the tall central cylinder. A ceiling fan will help circulate this hot air, but that doesn't get it out to the wings. In general using the heating system fan may be disappointing due to duct losses that cool the air down too much by the time it reaches the far wings.
I don't know much about HVAC, but there are 2 cold air return vents in the room. If the room is warm and that air is sucked through those, won't that decrease our propane use? To add to the problem, we don't have good air flow in the house, so the moisture level is above 50%. We thought the wood stove would also help with this issue.

I don't know much about HVAC, but there are 2 cold air return vents in the room. If the room is warm and that air is sucked through those, won't that decrease our propane use? To add to the problem, we don't have good air flow in the house, so the moisture level is above 50%. We thought the wood stove would also help with this issue.

The HVAC thing might not work. When I turn mine on the house gets noticeably colder (ducts travel through cooler spaces and rob the air). For wide large homes I’ve seen wood furnaces used with hydronic heat (great for wide bungalow type layouts).

I don't know what the OP's budget is, but might 2 Regency F5200 stoves (1 at each wing) with 2 giant ceiling fans do it?
Possibly. Allot depends upon insulation value tightness of the structure etc.

Each wing has a high efficiency furnace. They DON'T heat the house, especially not the center. There is nowhere to put a wood stove in the wings. It has to be in the center. Then, perhaps the furnaces can supplement. That was the plan, anyway.

Is that crock and the fireplace damper sealed shut?

The stove, if big will definitely cut down your propane bill but also depends on where you spend your time and what areas are important to heat will determine how much. My house is too big to heat with the stove I have but it carries 75% of the load, good enough for me.

Reactions: RoundHouse
That's my thought. A good wood stove is going to make a dent in heating the core, but the wings may not get much benefit in colder weather.

Do you have a basement? What is the garage situation like? If you are committed to heating with wood and cold with $800/month in propane then an indoor or outdoor wood gasification hydronic heater (aka indoor/outdoor gassifier boiler) will pay off fairly quickly. What is your firewood situation look like? A good hydronic system with cast iron rads can heat the whole structure and then you could get a nice enameled cast iron stove to burn for ambiance.

50% is ok on the Humidity, actually close to ideal. I think the right stove will do a nice job on that center room. Whats the SF of the whole place?