All Other States COLORADO - front range pellet prices Sept 8, 2014

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmuenchow

Dec 16, 2011
Evergreen, Colorado
Time to price pellets. The prices increased about 8%-10% overall from what I can tell. These prices DO NOT consider quality (as I think that the quality of most pellets is pretty close - they all either "game" the labs (selected product), each year's feedstock differs and there is a moderate variation in quality control - even within a given year's production run - and claim theirs is the BEST...). I shop by (1) price then (2) convenience of pickup and finally (3) past experience with the pellet type (like HEAT'RS do seem to have more ash & less heat - but that was last year's run...) OK DENVER METRO AREA (including MOUNTAIN "SUBURBIA"):
BEST PRICE: $225/ton for Western Wood Products Premium at BIG R (Conifer & Evergreen).- from NM!
Next is: $239/ton for ECOFLAME Premium at their store on SIMMS St. in Lakewood, CO
SALE PRICE: $244/ton for HEARTLAND Premium at the hardware store in Pine Junction, CO
others: $250/ton for HEARTLAND Premium at the ASPEN PARK Hardware in Conifer, CO
$299/ton for Rocky Mountain Premium at Inglenook Energy Center (Conifer, CO)
$269/ton for Newark? at Mtn Hearth & Patio in Evergreen, CO

SO, there it is - I bought the ECOFLAME at $199/ton in September, 2013. By February, I needed a third ton, & ECOFLAME was still cheapest at $220. Now, they are at $239? But the pellets I bought from BIG R are trucked in from New Mexico and sold CHEAPER that those made in ID Springs? HMMmmmm.

Can anybody explain that one?

MONTANA- North Idaho fir pellets 'Premium' at $235 p/ton. (Bought a ton)
Seen advertised $200 p/ton pellets at Helena Super 1 Food store.

Lot's of pellets in stock all around. Going to buy a total 4 tons for the winter..

One thing to watch for is the Heartlands come 60 bags to a pallet instead of 50 so it is over a ton.
This is from Bomgars Loveland.

Just checked Big R in Evergreen and they are at $249 a ton for the Western Wood Products.

Home Depot in Evergreen was at the same price for ecoflame or blazers. I do not like the ecoflame pellets.

New Earth Pellets in Silver Plume have closed their plant to move it to Grandby and are out of stock.

I expected to see some end of year clearances considering what a mild winter it has been. There is a good one in Fort Collins, but that's a long way to drive to save $40 (I am near Idaho Springs)

2015 Pellet Pricing on the front range

Murdochs wants $239/ton, Big R wants $225/ton (pellets from NM). Local producers either have higher costs or are greedy, as production & shipping can't be less than local sourcing...

I think $200/ton is more than fair - what are other folks finding for prices?

Nov 2015, prices about the same as last year, maybe a few bucks more...This is along the Front Range..Brand choice is very limited. Be wary of pellets that have been stored outside for months...Moisture penetration can be a problem greatly reducing the quality of the product..

2015 Pellet Pricing on the front range

Murdochs wants $239/ton, Big R wants $225/ton (pellets from NM). Local producers either have higher costs or are greedy, as production & shipping can't be less than local sourcing...

I think $200/ton is more than fair - what are other folks finding for prices?

Menards is close by us in Scottsbluff NE and they are charging $4 a bag, which for a ton is $200, so I would think that would be about right. Murdochs is always high in my opinion, and a lot of what I purchased there had a bunch of sawdust as compared to others. The Rocky Mountain brand is the cheapest overall, I think they come from a Colorado source but could be wrong.

Nov 2015, prices about the same as last year, maybe a few bucks more...This is along the Front Range..Brand choice is very limited. Be wary of pellets that have been stored outside for months...Moisture penetration can be a problem greatly reducing the quality of the product..

I bought 4 used trash bins, medium sized, and I put my pellets in those, in the bag. I sealed the top of the bin but left air holes in the sides so as to let moisture out if it was wet out (not usually the case in NE Colorado) and it's worked well. I never buy the pellets that have sat outside for the summer at a store though--they end up being sawdust most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.