Colorado Front Range

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamk

Oct 9, 2008
Colorado
I need a densely packed pellet for my thelin pellet stove - otherwise it turns them to sawdust in the auger. Also, I have started running this pellet stove via a computer program and have a good idea of whether a certain pellet brand burns hotter or colder than another.

Blazers are the pellet I want. They burn hot and are densely packed. They work perfectly in my stove - but I cannot get them anymore.

Any pellet made by confluence energy is out. Their pellets are awful - some of the worst I have tried. ecoflame, platinum fire, rocky mountain super premium - they are all terrible. RediFlame from homedepot was disqualified this weekend too.

I found some "Black Hills Gold" at Inglenook energy and they are borderline, but they work. They want $295 a ton. :-(

I keep seeing ads for heartland pellets from a place in loveland on craigsliist - they characterize them as a densely packed pellet with little/no dust - but Loveland is a haul for me. Anyone tried these?

Does anyone in the colorado front range have any recommendations? I'm running out of brands to try. Replacing the thelin is not an option. No need to hate on my stove, I love it. :)

running this pellet stove via a computer program
Not giving out any tips for those that want to take a sledge hammer to theirs?? What have you modified?

I've used the Heartlands - I liked them but they are (were - haven't been able to get them for 3 years :() a softwood from lodgepole pine IIRC. Not much for fines in the bags.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I use a zwave relay in place of a programmable thermostat and use a computer program to control the stove via the relay. Now i can do things like turn the stove on, wait 30 minutes, and if the temp in the room doesn't rise, i recycle power. I have to do this because the thelin often misfires, and a programmable thermostat has no idea that happened, it just sits there turned on. Also, it allows me to have a wide gap in temperature - 7 degrees - so it isn't cycling anywhere near as much as it used to with a programmable thermostat.

As a by product i can log how fast temperature rises in the room depending on the pellet in use. I am still looking for a good pellet for the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.