Combustion blower question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
I think this is a generic combustion blower question but to be specific I have a Quad MVAE, circa 2011. I pull and try to clean my combustion blower every ton or so. I'm coming up on this event again in about 2 weeks. Once I pull the blower, I scrape and brush any ash build up and inspect it. This got me to thinking, do any of you spray your blowers with silicone spray to make them a little more slippery and therefore less likely to attract ash. Anybody have thoughts? I understand that this coating might just burn off in the first hour but I'm just curious. Thank you.

I used to pull my combustion motor once every year to clean the blades, but I haven't done it in years now. I just shut down the stove, wait for everything to cool down, then I shoot compressed air into the motor cavities to loosen the dust bunnies. Then I suck them out with the shovac. I think one reason the motors die is because they overheat when the body gets dirty.